High step and molt

Slg140

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 4, 2017
I’ve got a two year old buff Orpington who is going through a hard molt. A week ago I noticed her high stepping and crossing feet when she tried to walk. She also had a little crackle with each breathe. I brought her inside and treated with antibiotics, the crackle went away but she still high steps and walks awkwardly. The whole flock was dewormed and given ivermectin recently and I don’t see signs of scaly leg mites or anything like that. Any ideas?

I would see how she does once her molt is complete, and she is back to laying again. Molting is such as stressful time on some chickens, that it can bring out illnesses that may have been supressed. I would put her on some vitamin B complex tablets—1/4 a day crushed onto her food or a treat. Many people describe some high stepping or walking backward in molting or sick chickens. We worry a bit about possible Mareks disease or some neurological problem, but I would just keep an eye on her. If there is a problem, there may be other symptoms later.

Thank you, all of the other symptoms are gone and Her molt is nearly over but she is still high stepping pretty bad. She eats and drinks fine, I’m just not sure what todo with her.

Did you give the vitamins? Can you examine her legs for possible scaly leg mites or lifted scales? I noticed a rooster do the high stepping when he had those.
upload_2019-12-5_8-51-21.jpeg

I still need to get vitamins, I did check and treat for scaly leg mites just to be safe but didn’t see any signs of lifted scales.

Thank you, all of the other symptoms are gone and Her molt is nearly over but she is still high stepping pretty bad. She eats and drinks fine, I’m just not sure what todo with her.
Any way you can take a video of the high stepping?

I would check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks to make sure it's empty.

She has stopped high stepping after I treated with b complex. I have also been coating her legs with petroleum just to make sure it’s not scaly leg mites even though I treated with ivomec two weeks ago. Unfortunate I have another sick hen is showing signs of coccidia! So I will be treating my whole flock with corid. But the high stepping hen is looking much better.

Back
Top Bottom