High step/ kicking

AntiqueB

Free Ranging
Aug 27, 2020
Bergen County, NJ
I'm wondering if anyone knows what might help my SS hen. She's about 1.5 years old, and laid a lash egg in May or June. I put her on amoxicillian, which seemed to help; she has been fine since, although she does not lay eggs.

Five days ago, I noticed her walking funny. She doesn't always step like the video, but may do it every few steps. She does it with both her legs. Otherwise, she seems healthy. She has an appetite, and is not lethargic at all.

She eats Purina Organic Starter/Grower, with oyster shell on the side. Treats may include grapes, oatmeal without sugar, cucumbers, grubs; one is given each of 5 days per week. She was vaccinated as a chick.

She lives with 3 other girls in a 16x8 run. They come out to forage for about 30 minutes per day.

Any ideas, please?

Has she molted this year? I would guess that she might have some reproductive issue that is causing some pressure on her sciatic nerves in her legs. High stepping is seen sometimes when chickens are molting, arthritis in older chickens, and sometimes with neurologic problems. Limit any treats to less than 10% of her food, since those may dilute protein, minerals, and vitamins in the balanced chicken feed. I might give some human vitamin E 400 IU daily, and you could also try some B complex1/4 -12 tablet daily for 2 weeks to see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom