High Stepping chick

emvickrey

ChowDown Silkie Farm
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Hornbeak, Tennessee
I have a chick that I thought had an injured leg. I felt the bones and can't feel any break or dislocated joint anywhere. I felt all over the little one and both sides feel the same so I don't think anything is broken or out of place. When I discovered it was hurt Sunday it couldn't walk. It and 4 others the same age have been living in the sizzle pen with the adults. This chick is about 2 months old and I think it's a pullet. Anyway, I brought her in and put her in a small brooder by herself with food and water. She couldn't get to it the first day and I had to put her by them so she could. The next day she was able to hobble around the brooder. Today she is standing and walking but she's wobbly and when she walks she does this high step like she's stepping over something with every step and it's with both feet.

She doesn't seem to be in pain but since it's difficult to walk she don't do it much. She will lay till she wants to move into a different position and will get herself turned around or to the food and water then back down she is. She doesn't seem to prefer a certain side. She lays sorta on one side then will flip to the other. Right now she turned herself around and is watching the computer monitor curser move as I type. Maybe she's reading. lol

Any ideas as to what it may be. She is getting better. I would just like to have an idea as to what may have happened to her. Oh, and she has normal poops

24309_5112011_106.jpg

She doesn't act like she is in any pain. It's more like she just only walks to get to where she wants to go like food and water or to change positions when laying down. It's hard to explain but like since she has a hard time walking she just don't do it to keep from falling when she gets all wobbly.
idunno.gif

My first thought would be a peck on the head also. i personally would not put 2 month olds in with adults. It's too big of a size difference and too easy for the kids to get pecked on the head.

If she seems like she's on the mend, i would just keep her inside and do what you've been doing, making sure she eats and drinks.

Quote:
My sizzles are great babysitters. They let the chicks cuddle with them at night and aren't mean to them at all. The roo watches over them when they are out free ranging. If something does happen it would be an accident. I've sat and watched them for hours and they don't even step on them if they walk in front of the adults. They will stop and let them pass.

She is doing better and she will stay in the brooder inside till she's recovered.

Wow, that's great. My chickens are not so nice. You would think they would be, i mainly have silkies and showgirls. i have a couple nice ones, but only because they can't see past their crests to peck anyone.

My only other guess would be she ate something that upset her tummy - maybe a bug? But sans any other symptoms, she should recover fine. Keep us posted?

Back
Top Bottom