High Tech Bators

Quote:
Hi Jim,

It would be pretty hard to interface with most solid state thermostats unless they were built for industrial controls and had an standard output.

I am interested in Danny's humidity control as well. Danny, Please post more info!
jumpy.gif

Len

i dont get how people get all these computer fans. i oviously dont wanna take the fan out of my current computer. I took one out of an old IBM computer in the attic but i turned it on then off and tried to make sure it would turn on again and nothing. it broke already.... My dads working construction at the hospital cause he and his coworkers are remodling it. The hospital throws old stuff out daily. maybe ill ask him to bring me home an old computer.

Quote:
Well, I have a "business" refurbishing and selling Dell computers that are being surplussed by large corporations and government entities. So I have lots of fans for those. However, the ones I use for things like this are from the trade-ins that I just part out. Search the computer section of your local craigslist and you'll find dead computers you can pull apart, or sometime even fans from someone who is parting out a computer, or if you get lucky someone who bought the wrong fan for their application and is just trying to get rid of it (I have one of those too, but it is too small for an incubator).

Len

I got my fans years ago when I got this old computer from the military. It give a different twist to the wards computer desk. It was a desk that was a computer. All of the drawers that you pulled out was stacked with circuit boards. I got a lot of great stuff out of that old thing. That was some of the best wire I ever got. No tinning required. Anyhow back to the fans, they run off from 110V & move a lot of air & they are brushless.
I hated the fact of using an adapter to get it.

Here goes i am not very good at this so bare with me.

This is the digital controller. It hooks to a power source and then goes to the heater and to the sensor that reads the humidity.
26231_birds09_155.jpg

This is the quart water reservoir that the heater goes into. The round silver thing sitting on top with the wire attached is the heater. The blue pipe going out the top gooes in a hole in the bator.
26231_birds09_156.jpg

This is the whole set up. The sensor is sitting on top of the controller. The 5 gallon container that feeds the quart heater reservoir is to the right. and the quart heater reservoir is to the left with the heater sitting on top.
26231_birds09_160.jpg

Well i did the best i could with it. I hope this gives you some idea of how it works

Quote:
It looks good, I understand the concept you used. Is the sensor and controller military surplus? The heating element appears to be a typical water heater element or is it something special too?

Len

Quote:
I think that is a mist maker or foger which ever you want to call it. I was considering one if I need it along with a (I think this is what it is called) humidostat (I'm sure the spelling is wrong). I have like 6 of them around here.

You know i tihnk you are right it is a humidistat instead of a heater. You have to reallize it has been years since i thought about this. It produces a mist that is sucked in by the fan.
Len to tell you the truth i don't remember where tihs stuff came from but i do know it works. I could probably get some information off the parts. All this has been laying around for a while and i sort of threw it together in a few minutes.

I seen ether a post or someones page on here that showed how to build one of these or similar. You get the controller from Lowes or HD. It is the ones you put in basement & hook an exhaust fan to.

Can anyone recommend a website where I might be able to read up a bit on the controller? Please excuse my lack of technical understanding, but does the fan pull air through this constantly, adding moisture as needed?

Jim

Back
Top Bottom