High Tech Bators

Quote:
Is it a part of a fog machine, green house humidifier, or evaporative cooler? I suppose it could also be a humidifier for produce or tobacco storage. The reason I'm so persistent is to figure out where some inexpensive components might be found. I've played with a couple of types of room humidifiers (like you use when you have pneumonia) but they just aren't up to the task of extended use.

Len

Quote:
Is it a part of a fog machine, green house humidifier, or evaporative cooler? I suppose it could also be a humidifier for produce or tobacco storage. The reason I'm so persistent is to figure out where some inexpensive components might be found. I've played with a couple of types of room humidifiers (like you use when you have pneumonia) but they just aren't up to the task of extended use.

Len

I have some of those misters/foggers that I would let you have for $35 + shipping. You would still need a switch to control it. Depending on your size box you could put it inside instead of building something to go on the outside. I got a bunch of these to do hydroponics. I even have one that has a wireless remote & some fancy lights. I don't think it would be practical for this.

Quote:
I have lots of room, I'm using commercial pop coolers, that no longer function, as the cases. However, I think that I'll stick to using a fan blowing across the top of a tub of water. If I need more humidity I'll probably add a wicking material or a water heating element. This seems sensible as they will not only raise the humidity but at the same time assist in circulation and possibly heating which are also necessary (not to mention I already have all of the above sitting around waiting for a new purpose for their existence).

However, if you came up with something that would work as a mister and could be obtained for half that price I would probably buy one just to see how well it would work. My spreadsheet says that I need to build the incubators for less than $300 each and spend less than $50 for the power and consumables for the incubation of 550 eggs (assuming a 90% hatch rate or greater) to come out ahead in this shell game (pun intended).
lol.png

Yes, I laugh at my own jokes. I have to because nobody else will.
tongue.png

Len

Last edited:
Quote:
You could put some micro holes in a length of pipe & hook it up to a valve out of as washing machine.

I would only have it burst though because it would take longer for it to become a vapor then that of the fogger. I think I might use a fridge for my next one so I will probably use a fogger in it. I think with the smaller ones that humidity would jump to quick.

Quote:
You could put some micro holes in a length of pipe & hook it up to a valve out of as washing machine.

I would only have it burst though because it would take longer for it to become a vapor then that of the fogger. I think I might use a fridge for my next one so I will probably use a fogger in it. I think with the smaller ones that humidity would jump to quick.

How would you make the micro holes? I'm not so sure how good of an idea it would be to have pressurized water in an incubator. A leak would surely destroy the hatch by lowering the temperature and water spraying on the electrical devices would risk a fire. Speaking of which, is there anyone recommending that people only use their homemade bators on GFI outlets? It is probably good insurance in case something goes awry.

I have thought about using the little misters that they sell for cooling barns or dog kennels but the ones I have leave the floor wet even after a 12 foot drop so I would need to have a catch pan and a drain. I think that I might test it anyway. I have two little pond pumps and set of the misters that I could use so it would only take a couple of hours to set it up.

Len

Quote:
Push a needle through it. This would be the same as the misters you are talking about. The water landing on the floor is what is going to raise the humidity.

Quote:
Quote:
If I'm humidifying by evaporating off the floor then there probably isn't much use for making the water go through the air is there? Yes, it's a rhetorical question and of course there will be some evaporation as it pass through the air. However it is doesn't seem like a very "clean" (simple, reliable, effective and efficient) solution. Using a fan to blow air through a wicking material seem as effective and much "cleaner".

It isn't but by making it into a mist it will evaporate quicker. I wouldn't use it. I was just answering your question. I would use one of the foggers. They make a finer mist that can hang in the air for a short time. I have church here in a little bit but maybe tomorrow I can set one up & take a picture.

Back
Top Bottom