High Tensile Fencing for ducks? Anyone use it? What spacing?

I walk my ducks in the woods, and we don't have troubles. But that's because (I think it's because) I am with them. Life as a livestock guard animal is not so bad, by the way.

Hawks might go after smaller ducks. I know I have read about them nabbing runners. Muscovies, I am not so sure they would take on. Black Swedish are in the middle there.

The trees might provide some cover from some raptors. This whole security aspect can make one's head spin. I like the trees, though, they are good for the land, making it cooler in summer and ducks like that (they wear down jackets all year).

I understand the expense of woven wire.If you use the high tensile to keep things out, even a fairly light fencing material inside that just for the duck area might not set you back so much. In a perfect world, you could find a primitive skills school that could have their students build a wattle fence for free, as part of their education. Would look nice, too.

Only half kidding.

So what did you end up doing? I have a similar situation but am looking at a paddock shift system. Thinking 6 strand electrified high tensile, wires closer together at the bottom and widening as it gets higher.

ping! I'm reviving this thread since I am planing to have a similar situation - some ducks + geese together around a small pond. I have read of some success using only HT wire with several strands up to 48" and spaced more closely together towards the bottom.

I'm most concerned about the ability of this setup to prevent weasels, foxes, racoons, and coyotes from getting in... the weasels might be tough - do you think I can rely on the geese to ward off weasels?

ping! I'm reviving this thread since I am planing to have a similar situation - some ducks + geese together around a small pond. I have read of some success using only HT wire with several strands up to 48" and spaced more closely together towards the bottom.

I'm most concerned about the ability of this setup to prevent weasels, foxes, racoons, and coyotes from getting in... the weasels might be tough - do you think I can rely on the geese to ward off weasels?
Nope geese have no way to ward off anything with teeth. They are mainly bluff

that's too bad... we have had some winter weasel problems, although no summer weasel problems... I'm not sure what can keep a weasel out in the summer time, unfortunately, and hopefully we don't have that problem.

that's too bad... we have had some winter weasel problems, although no summer weasel problems... I'm not sure what can keep a weasel out in the summer time, unfortunately, and hopefully we don't have that problem.
Weasels/Minks etc are relentless and will get in a 1" hole about the only way to keep them from going after our birds is to use hardware cloth top bottom and sides of what we are going to keep them in.

yeah, you dont need to tell me ;-) and :-(... but I'm going to fencing in about 1/2 acre area... I think I'll just have the HT fence up and then shut them in at night.

yeah, you dont need to tell me ;-) and :-(... but I'm going to fencing in about 1/2 acre area... I think I'll just have the HT fence up and then shut them in at night.
Best idea there is for keeping them safe. And you'll also need to watch out for snapping turtles if you have a pond.

Back
Top Bottom