Hillbilly hollering from NW Arkansas and the Ozark National forest located in the Boston Mountains of Madison county...

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Newbie. But have had a coral reef tank in the past as well as snakes, rabbits, turtles, iguanas, cats and dogs.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
0. Planning on 8 chicks soon. Building a coop using bullet resistant Lexan sheets (for bears and coyotes), wood framing, and hardware cloth. and a run of chainlink fencing.
(3) What breeds do you have?
None, but are planning on gold laced wyandottes and possibly Welsummers to start.

4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
The entertainment and providing eggs to family and friends. Retired, so I have the time now.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Astronomy, metal detecting, rock hounding, science in general, lock picking for fun, video entertainment, hunting, light homesteading, esoteric knowledge, learning new things. Collecting new hobbies and interest.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Married 32 years to a great wife and friend. 2 adult children and a future son-in-law. Retired and disabled as is my wife, so I'm hoping to connect with others with mobility issues to problem solve situations economically. Really need a atv of some sort out here someday. Living the dream of having 5 acres of land in National Forest and the solitude and nature it contains. Now to deal with the rats, feral cats, wild dogs, timber rattlers, water moccasins, copperheads, red fox, feral hogs, racoons, possums, armadillos, coyotes, hawks, owls, bobcats, and bears that want a free chicken dinner.😄 Through prevention, unless we're going to harvest and eat it or self defense.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? Whenever I had a query, I often found helpful info here.

Attachments

• IMG_20240307_124109_01~2.jpg
    IMG_20240307_124109_01~2.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom