Hinged roost bars

JerryE

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2021
Around 56 years ago I helped my gramps rebuild his chicken coop after it was hit by lightning and burned down, there was one design feature that he used that I have always copied on every coop I have built and it's served me well
"Hinged Roost Bar"
I remember one day while helping my gramps with the rebuild a neighbor of his dropped by to see if he needed any help and saw the hinged roost be we had just installed and asked gramps why he hinged the roost to which gramps replied "Thelma's ( my grandma) not as young as she used to be and it makes it easier for her to clean
I have over the years incorporated poop trays and the supports for the trays I also hinge from the back wall as the dreaded deep cleaning is so much easier when you can hinge everything and open the area below the roost
One thing I also do is to put plastic sheeting on the back wall just to keep things a little cleaner
A few peck holes but it last over a year before replacing
L

Around 56 years ago I helped my gramps rebuild his chicken coop after it was hit by lightning and burned down, there was one design feature that he used that I have always copied on every coop I have built and it's served me well
"Hinged Roost Bar"
I remember one day while helping my gramps with the rebuild a neighbor of his dropped by to see if he needed any help and saw the hinged roost be we had just installed and asked gramps why he hinged the roost to which gramps replied "Thelma's ( my grandma) not as young as she used to be and it makes it easier for her to clean
I have over the years incorporated poop trays and the supports for the trays I also hinge from the back wall as the dreaded deep cleaning is so much easier when you can hinge everything and open the area below the roost
One thing I also do is to put plastic sheeting on the back wall just to keep things a little cleaner
L

Welcome to BYC!

Do you have photos of how your hinged roosts work? I'm going to be putting roosts in my new coop soon and am considering hinged roosts vs. lift-out roosts -- especially since I will have ramps up to these roosts, that I'm putting my convenient shoulder height.

Welcome to BYC!

Do you have photos of how your hinged roosts work? I'm going to be putting roosts in my new coop soon and am considering hinged roosts vs. lift-out roosts -- especially since I will have ramps up to these roosts, that I'm putting my convenient shoulder height.
Wil
"Hinged Roost Bar"
L

Welcome to BYC!

Wil
"Hinged Roost Bar"
L
Will post pics monday

Poop trays where destroyed by the kids walking on them. I installed some galvanized angle to represent the poop trays for the pics

Attachments

• IMG20210730085446.jpg
    IMG20210730085446.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG20210730085455.jpg
    IMG20210730085455.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG20210730085403.jpg
    IMG20210730085403.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG20210730085441.jpg
    IMG20210730085441.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG20210730085335.jpg
    IMG20210730085335.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG20210730085358.jpg
    IMG20210730085358.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG20210730085328.jpg
    IMG20210730085328.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 47
I hope you can see that the trays are angled so I can wash them with a water hose and everything drains out of the coop thru the chain link fence. I have a hole dug outside the coop filled with sand that catches the water and poop I scoop out the poop from the top layer of sand after I clean the trays

Back
Top Bottom