Hip dislocation

ChickenMcNuggs

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2023
South Carolina
Hi everyone! I have a 3 month old with what I'm thinking is a possible hip dislocation. Any advice on ways I can help her?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1689451783109.jpg
    FB_IMG_1689451783109.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 95
  • FB_IMG_1689451780000.jpg
    FB_IMG_1689451780000.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 14
Do you think he or she was injured? Do you have cockerels that are being rough? Has she always walked normally up until now? Is she able to move her leg and toes? Is she curling her toes around your finger? A vet would be your best bet to help. I would separate the chicken near food and water. A chicken sling might be of help. Aspirin low dose can be given orally once or twice a day to help with swelling and pain. In a baby chick some have tried to hold them upside down by the legs to put the bone back in place. If attempting that, make sure the chicken has nothing in it’s crop in early morning, in case it vomits, so it doesn’t’ choke. Here in post 15 are instructions for reducing a dislocation in a baby chick:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...don-or-need-help.1262881/page-2#post-20274699

Here is a link about chicken slings with pictures:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Do you think he or she was injured? Do you have cockerels that are being rough? Has she always walked normally up until now? Is she able to move her leg and toes? Is she curling her toes around your finger? A vet would be your best bet to help. I would separate the chicken near food and water. A chicken sling might be of help. Aspirin low dose can be given orally once or twice a day to help with swelling and pain. In a baby chick some have tried to hold them upside down by the legs to put the bone back in place. If attempting that, make sure the chicken has nothing in it’s crop in early morning, in case it vomits, so it doesn’t’ choke. Here in post 15 are instructions for reducing a dislocation in a baby chick:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...don-or-need-help.1262881/page-2#post-20274699

Here is a link about chicken slings with pictures:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
When I first found her she was laying with her legs behind her. Completely nonmoble. The leg you don't see in the pics is drawn up with toes curled. At first the leg that's straight out was ok. She could get around with it somewhat. I'm not sure if originally she was injured or has/had a vitamin deficiency. I was working on her drawn up leg(massage, physical therapy) and it was getting better. During the day I'd put her outside in the brooder. One day the straight leg was just like this and hasn't changed. I'm guessing she threw herself around and hurt it. She doesn't do much with it. I have seen the toes curl but most of the time they are hyperflexed out. Almost painfully looking. I've got her on vitamins. Originally for the clenched leg that unfortunately has regressed since the straight leg has been stuck like that.

How is your chicken doing? Your chickens hip looks very similar to mine and I'm trying to figure out the best course/any course of action.

When I first found her she was laying with her legs behind her. Completely nonmoble. The leg you don't see in the pics is drawn up with toes curled. At first the leg that's straight out was ok. She could get around with it somewhat. I'm not sure if originally she was injured or has/had a vitamin deficiency. I was working on her drawn up leg(massage, physical therapy) and it was getting better. During the day I'd put her outside in the brooder. One day the straight leg was just like this and hasn't changed. I'm guessing she threw herself around and hurt it. She doesn't do much with it. I have seen the toes curl but most of the time they are hyperflexed out. Almost painfully looking. I've got her on vitamins. Originally for the clenched leg that unfortunately has regressed since the straight leg has been stuck like that.

Back
Top Bottom