Histomoniasis aka Blackhead

Blackhead is caused by a protozoa. Treatment is 250mg metronidazole given orally once a day for 5 days. Then you have to eliminate the host that carries the protozoa...the cecal worm. Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer will take care of the cecal worm....1/2cc given orally undiluted, repeat again in 10 days.

Blackhead is caused by a protozoa. Treatment is 250mg metronidazole given orally once a day for 5 days. Then you have to eliminate the host that carries the protozoa...the cecal worm. Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer will take care of the cecal worm....1/2cc given orally undiluted, repeat again in 10 days.
You seem to be really good at finding official type references. Are there any for blackhead medications that you have seen?

I had a chick hatch on 6-23, died on 7-8. UC Davis confirmed that cause of death was histomoniasis. Weight at time of death was 70 grams. I also just lost a 1kg hen and I believe that her cause of death was histomoniasis. Just trying to get a handle on what seems to be a real problem here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom