Hiya :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Barbello, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Barbello

Barbello New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    After copious amount of googling chicken related things and having it almost always lead to BYC, I figured I better join.

I have.... no chickens. Kinda. My boyfriend has 3 white Leghorns and I look after them while he's at work, so they're kind of sort of mine too ;)

I'm from Australia, Western suburbs (bogan represent, yo) of Sydney.

What's that? You want to hear the story of how he got some chookies? Well, okay, since you insist....

One morning, just over 3 months ago, I woke up and opened my curtains and gazed out sleepily into BF's backyard (we live next door to each other).... There's something white there.... That's not a cat.... That's not a Dove.... Grabbing my mobile I raced outside and phoned him up, waking him, and saying somewhat frantically "There's a chicken in your backyard". He replied with a sleepy "huh?", "a chicken, a white chicken! In your yard!" "what? huh? okay, going to look, *few minutes later* That's a chicken alright".

After A LOT of messing around and calling up various places who were of no help, I asked some friends on facebook and from there we were given contact information for NSW Hen Rescue. Then it turns out that little chookie belongs to his neighbours! They had only had her for a couple of days and their other 3 Isa Browns were picking on her, so being a sensible girl she thought "blow this" and jumped the fence into BF's yard.

After hanging out in the yard for a couple of hours, she had worked her magic on my BF who was very taken with her and wanted to keep her. When the neighbour popped over to collect her, I asked if he could keep her, neighbour went back and conferred with husband and decided that she could stay! YAY!

A frantic rush to Petbarn for for straw and food, then Bunnings for a coop, then assembling it in the dark, then realising she wanted to spend the night anywhere but the coop.... ANYWAY.

After already contacting Hen Rescue, once it was decided she could stay, the next step was obviously to adopt a couple of friends for her. A couple of days later 2 more white Leghorns arrived, being ex-battery hens, they weren't in awesome shape, but a lot better than some.

Fast forward 3 months and we've got 3 lovely girls who are way more awesome than I ever expected chickens to be. Their names are Ellen, Kerri-Anne and Oprah (fence-jumping girl).

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] love stories with happy endings

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Barbello, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Clever girl, that fence jumper!

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Great story! Welcome to the site and I'm glad you have joined us :)

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by