Hmmm... should they be chillin'?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MamaJohnson, Jun 16, 2009.

1. MamaJohnson

MamaJohnson Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Idaho
    I've read that fresh laid eggs should sit for awhile (like 5 days or so) before cooking them to allow some air to build up in them (?)... (still a little unsure exactly why, but hey, the Forum has never been wrong before, so...) I have a couple of hens that have started laying [​IMG] and was wondering - do the new eggs need to "sit" on the counter, or is putting them immediately in the fridge OK too?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. fargosmom

fargosmom Songster

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I put ours in the fridge most days, but on the weekends they usually all get cooked up . . . even the ones from that morning. I haven't seen much difference between the fresh ones and the days-old ones. They're all yumalicious. [​IMG]

3. GoldenSilverLaced

GoldenSilverLaced Songster

May 1, 2009
    East Central IL
    As far as I know, air gets inside the eggs over time and water inside the egg slowly evaporates, changing the composition. The older eggs take less time to cook, although I wouldn't think 5 days would make that much of a difference. I've definitely noticed the physical differences between just-laid-today fresh eggs and store bought ones - the white/yolk in fresh eggs holds together, for one. They can sit out on the counter for awhile, but I normally refrigerate mine as soon as I collect them. Collection occurs at all hours of the day, depending on when they lay and what time I go to work, so sometime they eggs are at ambient temp for 8-10 hours for refrigeration.

4. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Songster

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    I've cooked them right from the hen. They are just fine! The only time you might want an older egg is if you are hard boiling it. A fresh egg can be very difficult to peel, but an older egg is easier to peel. But, if you are making omelets, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, quiche, or a cake, a fresh egg from a minute ago, or an egg from a month ago is just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: