Hmmm......somebody pencil in the wrong breed? Please help

SpiritedFarm

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
South West Ontario
I just finished a rather odd hatch....i set 36 silkie eggs and 12 Buff Orps.

I have reason to believe the person I got the eggs from is rather.....shall we say.......not always exactley truthfull?

Long story I wont bore you with, but i have 3 supposed Buff Orps hatched......Two of them look like the classic chick...soft yellow...one of them in larger than the other two, a much darker yellow (bordering on a light rust color) and he has a black streak on his head that showed up when he was two days old.

I have never raised Buff Orps before, these were supposed to be my foundation stock.

Is the black streak normal on a buff Orp? Also, this little guy has been Roo material since day one. Runs up to every challenge, saw my hand enter the brooder for the first time and my knuckles took a beating! Very aggresive little guy.

Thoughts?

Sounds like you might have at best a BO- something er other mix. Is this guy you got the eggs from, good at keeping his flocks separated? All my BO chicks are the classic yellow.

As far as temperament my BO hens, roos, and the chicks are very gentle. I reach for the chicks in the brooder they all go running, they're hard to catch, male and female. My year old BO rooster, named 'Big Foot', will let me pick him up and carry him.

i think the flocks are separate, it's the notations on the eggs that are suspect....i even had some in there with no breed written on them, just date collected.

This suspect chick, is now growing faster than the two Orp chicks, also developing black pins on the wings. The yellow is much darker than the yellow on the orps.

i think the flocks are separate, it's the notations on the eggs that are suspect....i even had some in there with no breed written on them, just date collected.

This suspect chick, is now growing faster than the two Orp chicks, also developing black pins on the wings. The yellow is much darker than the yellow on the orps.

Can you get pictures of them? I raise BO the roo will be darker than the pullets. He will be much much bigger than the girls. MY BO Roo is a giant compared to my hens.

I just finished a rather odd hatch....i set 36 silkie eggs and 12 Buff Orps.

I have reason to believe the person I got the eggs from is rather.....shall we say.......not always exactley truthfull?

Long story I wont bore you with, but i have 3 supposed Buff Orps hatched......Two of them look like the classic chick...soft yellow...one of them in larger than the other two, a much darker yellow (bordering on a light rust color) and he has a black streak on his head that showed up when he was two days old.

I have never raised Buff Orps before, these were supposed to be my foundation stock.

Is the black streak normal on a buff Orp? Also, this little guy has been Roo material since day one. Runs up to every challenge, saw my hand enter the brooder for the first time and my knuckles took a beating! Very aggresive little guy.

Thoughts?

As chicks that is normal but BO roos as adults the ones I have raised have been very loving even my children pick them up play with the roos and dress them up and make them play tea party.

Can I see yours?
ep.gif

The two yellow chicks in my avatar photo are BO and all the males and females look pretty much the same at this young age. The picture is a little dark, they're actually a lighter yellow, like the yellow one in your pic.

Back
Top Bottom