hmmmm

coffeenutdesign

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
Texas
The weather has been like springtime here and I am ready to start doing outside stuff (even though I know it is early yet). I want to add a few EEs to my flock this year and I will add some replacement golden/red sex links for any I might lose to predators or whatever.

However, right now I have 7 hens. It is winter and I am still getting at least 5 eggs a day. That is actually more than I need for our use, even giving some to family and friends. I do have a friend who 'contributes to my feed costs' in exchange for some fresh eggs because she does not have space to raise her own chickens, but she she lives in another town so that is a bit of a problem as far as picking them up. So, long story short...I already have enough eggs but I want more chickens, lol. How many is too many?

I'm also adding meat chickens and rabbits to my little animal farm this year, too.
yesss.gif

I'm guessing your current hens were hatched in spring '12? If so, keep in mind they'll quite likely quit laying next winter after they molt. Most birds take the winter off at 18ish months and don't start laying again until spring. So, the chicks you buy this spring will be your only layers next winter, so plan accordingly!

I have 2 hens that are a bit older and they still lay pretty regularly. I actually live in TX with mild winter and I have production hens so I don't anticipate NO eggs, just maybe less eggs, which is why I do want a few replacements...I just don't "need" as many as I "want," lol. I also have to plan for predator losses, so of course I will need more chicks just to be on the safe side ;)

Back
Top Bottom