HMS Chicken Coop in progress

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by risurocket, Jul 27, 2008.

1. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
  2. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Looks like a great start, do you have chicks yet? Great initials too!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How wonderful. I lived in Milwaukee for four years attending Marquette. I went to Thanksgiving dinner out in New Berlin on a farm once and just fell in love with the place. Stay warm this winter!

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Your place, *and* the new chicken house, is FANTASTIC!!!!

OH! I am DROOLING!

5. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Wow that is a lot of hardware cloth [​IMG]
    Incredible

6. risurocket

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thanks all. [​IMG] Fortunately most of the stuff we are using to build were things our landlord has had around the yard. And the weird part is this place is still in city limits.

As for the Hardware cloth (hwc), yeah...I was scared out of my wits that the hwc alone would break the bank. Fortunately, we came up with a way to not have so much. The red wood wall was invented so that we would only need 2 rolls of the stuff. The back wall of the run has that cement wall half way up and will have welded wire and chicken wire (double layered) which our landlord just gave us. *whew* I was so relieved. HWC is soooo expensive!

7. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    That solid siding on the run is great! I like that it is just high enough that some animals will have a harder time seeing in and seeing potential dinner.

8. lacysummer

lacysummer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2008
    Southern West Virginia
    WOW I love the big barn in the background. your lucky to have a great place, what did the chicken coop use to be? I noticed the fire extinguisher.

9. risurocket

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Quote:The chicken coop used to be a chicken, pigeon, pheasant, possibly other birds coop (not in that order or at the same time). I think the last time that there were chickens in it was 1974. (that's the dates of some records written in pencil on one of the walls.) Then, for probably a good 20 - 30 years, it became a storage shed for all sorts of junk that the landlord put away. Gas cans, oil cans, old wood, old tools, the place was packed to the rafters and DH cleaned it all out. (DH has been a chicken coop god!)

Thanks all for the compliments. We really did get lucky with this place, and with the landlord who was interested in getting chickens too.

10. risurocket

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Quote:No chickens yet...we are going away in August and are waiting til we get back [​IMG] We will be starting out with full grown hens, if all works out as planned. Chicks will hopefully come later...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by