HOA-- Hate them or Love them ?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BruceAZ, Jun 7, 2016.

1. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    [​IMG]

i know this area.. it's around the power rd and 202 (mesa area)

these houses are pretty boxed in.. definitely no chickens allowed in this community[​IMG]

HOA- homeowner Association

hate them or love them?

i'm in the between

i can raise chickens so that part is great.. but i don't like paying them XXX every 3 months to "maintain common areas" that i don't even use..

or need their permission to install security door, camera, paint my house.. add rocks to the front yard, add more plants or type of trees, for hanging up the american flag on memorial day? etc.. pretty much any visual changes to the front of your lot..

the reason i keep my chicken coop at 4ft tall is because they also limit the height of shed like structures in the backyard...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I live where I live and as I do so that NOBODY can tell me what to do on my property.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    GREE

My son lives in a town house in Wa. - they are NOT allowed to have air conditioning because it is noisy. If you are too hot - not often where he is, too bad. He has a couple of ceiling fans but basically just heads for the lowest floor where it is cooler. To use smaller lots, the homes are 4 or sometimes 5 levels (weird) - too many stairs and two little of anything on each level.

My sister lives in an adult community single family home- NM. They have a million rules about fences, front doors , drapes etc. Nuts to them.

My brother lives in IL. townhouse Everyone has to have a certain, color, style etc. front door. You have to have the plants the HOA approves of. He has a small rectangle of a back yard and they don't allow wind chimes or bird feeders or bird houses. The streets are cul de sacs, all the house look pretty much identical. It's not odd that some neighbors wander over to the wrong house.

I remember a song I think from the 70's about people living in boxes, all made of "ricky ticky," and all just the same. NOooooooo

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Despise them with a passion and will never live in an area under their control...

I did home remodeling for a living for many years, nothing but problems in any area where there was a HoA, if it wasn't the neighbors causing problems by reporting this or that it was an busy had to know every detail of what was going on agent for the HoA nosing around... The worst was one client who wanted to paint her house but didn't want to use one of the seven approved colors, it took them 6 months of fighting to get a waiver to use a different color... That or the time we resided and replaced damaged/rotted balconies on an entire townhouse community, due to the nature of the work the management company that enforced the HoA rules was out every morning surveying the work and also red tagging the next to be worked on buildings for any violation they saw, and of course because we were doing the work they homeowners blamed us for all the red tags, fun, fun... And most of the red tags were stupid things like a shelf bracket, plant hook or something attached to the balcony, something that generally went unnoticed but not when the management company is surveying every balcony for what needs to be done...

With that said I live on a farm zoned 'Rural Estate' that is essentially the same as being zoned agricultural but it allows for a residence and a few different restrictions like no private runway ;) Literally across the street is a gated retirement community with the obvious strict HoA, lets just say there is constant friction with them, they HATE the fact that I'm no subject to their rules and have called in a few frivolous police and even fire reports against me for stuff I can legally do that they simply don't like, like burn barrels and bonfires... I get lots of sink eyes from many of the residents when they drive by... I can only suspect their anger towards me is actually a reflection of their anger towards to rules they are bound by... Just wait until next year when I finish the pistol range berm and I'm out in my backyard shooting ;) I'm sure chaos will ensue...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, i came from Coast Guard housing in CA ... it may be even worse! we fought to allow animals in our HOA. what good is 8 acres if you can't have animals?!

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I would never live somewhere where I was told what color house I had to have, how often I had to mow my lawn, what plants I could have, etc. some of the things these people go through are pretty ridiculous!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Like, really, someone is going to tell me that I can not fly the flag ? I think not.

8. BruceAZ

May 18, 2016
    this is the first time i heard of it

is there a chance that he interpretered it wrong?

we got people here in this forums think that they can raise chickens when the CC&R clearly stated that no poultry or livestock allowed.. . "oh.. i'm keeping chickens as pets" so i'm ok.. :/

i read through various CC&Rs and there's no such thing as not allowing AC.. well not in AZ anyway

the HOA will only care for the outside appearance of the house (things that they can see from the street)

AC is a necessity.. people will sue them to no end if they put something as outrageous as not allowing no AC

most AC units are behind the 6ft wall and on the side of the house (which are out of sight)

maybe he's referring to adding ac to the top of the house (some older houses have AC mounted on roof)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  9. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

When were were residing and redecking the town house community their HoA said that they were not allowed to 'affix' or 'attach' anything to to the building or balcony, or install any permanent fixtures on the ground around the patio... So if you wanted a flag you had to put a pole in a flower pot or what not so that it was not attached and also not permanent, and this is what most did... The people who put flower hooks in the bottom of the balcony, attached a flag bracket or even zip-tied a flag pole up were all busted and fined...

10. BruceAZ

May 18, 2016
    8 ACREs ? there's HOA on county land? if not that is some big community there..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by