HOA proof coop

SiriSchantz

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2018
My home owners association pet rules read:

“No person may keep, breed, board or raise any animal, livestock, reptile, or poultry of any kind for breeding or other commercial purpose on any residential home or upon any part of the Common Element. No pets shall be kept which constitute a nuisance or which unreasonably interfere with any owner's right to the quiet enjoyment of his/her property. Any complaints will be reported to the County and Township offices. Pets must be kept in a contained area or on a leash, chain or rope at all times when outside. All pet waste must be cleaned up within a reasonable time period. Owners must pick up after pets in the common elements or be subject to fines. One doghouse per lot is permitted but must meet the following criteria: (1) the color of the doghouse must match the color of the home; (2) the doghouse must be placed immediately at the rear of the home and is not permitted to be located in a side yard.”

Does this means I can’t have chickens, or does it mean I just can’t have them for commercial or breeding?

My home owners association pet rules read:

“No person may keep, breed, board or raise any animal, livestock, reptile, or poultry of any kind for breeding or other commercial purpose on any residential home or upon any part of the Common Element. No pets shall be kept which constitute a nuisance or which unreasonably interfere with any owner's right to the quiet enjoyment of his/her property. Any complaints will be reported to the County and Township offices. Pets must be kept in a contained area or on a leash, chain or rope at all times when outside. All pet waste must be cleaned up within a reasonable time period. Owners must pick up after pets in the common elements or be subject to fines. One doghouse per lot is permitted but must meet the following criteria: (1) the color of the doghouse must match the color of the home; (2) the doghouse must be placed immediately at the rear of the home and is not permitted to be located in a side yard.”

Does this means I can’t have chickens, or does it mean I just can’t have them for commercial or breeding?

You should ask your HOA, better to know beforehand then find out the hard way. But from what I read, it says you can't keep them. Again, asking your HOA is the best thing to do.

2x Feather Hearts, however :rolleyes: me being me read it differently ...

"No person may keep, breed, board or raise any animal, livestock, reptile, or poultry of any kind for breeding or other commercial purpose on any residential home or upon any part of the Common Element."
If you want chickens, you can have them as long as you don't breed them or use them for commercial purposes. You should check your County Laws to see if chickens are allowed in your area & the limit.

"No pets shall be kept which constitute a nuisance or which unreasonably interfere with any owner's right to the quiet enjoyment of his/her property. Any complaints will be reported to the County and Township offices. Pets must be kept in a contained area or on a leash, chain or rope at all times when outside. All pet waste must be cleaned up within a reasonable time period. Owners must pick up after pets in the common elements or be subject to fines."
You should also check with your surrounding neighbors, keep only Hens for eggs (personal use & sharing), no Roos cause they will "disturb" the quiet. Keep your girls in a secure CUTE coop/run in you yard AND clean so as no stink to disturb neighbors. Chicken poo is STINKY however there are ways to keep it from smelling.... poop board, PDZ, FF & cleaning daily (best). You can be fined by HOA & County.

"One doghouse per lot is permitted but must meet the following criteria: (1) the color of the doghouse must match the color of the home; (2) the doghouse must be placed immediately at the rear of the home and is not permitted to be located in a side yard.”

One coop/run must go in your back yard & painted to match the color of your house or the same color ... Suggest you get an approved paint color in writing prior to getting the coop.

We had to deal with HOA for a shed & fence. Went with the colors they said was ok, then got a letter saying it wasn't :mad: So then I got a color scheme from them, made them approve it in writing :plbb

This is just me (1) Check with the County if chickens (hens) allowed in your area and the limit (2) Check with the neighbor if it's ok, that you will keep it clean & only hens for eggs (3) Get your coop/run built before you get your chicken and make sure it's roomy enough for the girls (less fighting/noise) (4) Decide which breed works for you & go with the quieter ones. (5) Get everything in writing when dealing with HOA & neighbors ;)

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom