Hobbit Hen Mystery...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hobbithen, Jun 15, 2011.

1. hobbithen

hobbithen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    The Shire
    Hey all, Hobbit from Portland Maine here!
    Loved the fact our city turned the law and allows us 6 chickens... My husband, Mother-in-law and Father-in-law have done much homework on this experience of chick raising and egg production. Our coop is now done after much planning and a few hundred dollars... Our chicks were ordered from a local farm and garden shoppe. I ordered them in advance and did much research on the best breeds for backyard chickens....
    I ordered: 2Buff Orps,3 Barred Rocks and for kicks, 1 Giant Jersey. All Female...
    I recived the call my chicks came in and i could go and pick them up.....The guy at the register pulled my order slip, a small box and started to walk out back. I asked if i could go out back and see the hundreds of chicks they had back there. He said of course and I followed...
    Now with all this in mind, I watched him go into each clearly labeled tub and grab each one of my 6 chicks....

Now 6 weeks later I have some really pretty poullets.... EXCEPT.... My mystery!!!!

This is Mystery....[​IMG]

can u end this mystery for Mystery??? What is it and is it a male or female??

[​IMG]

Thanks so much!
    Hobbit

I can always add more pics if need be... [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Looks like my silver laced wyandotte pullets. Yours will probably get more white streaks as mine are 9 weeks old, but yours still could turn out to be a rooster, although now looks like a pullet.

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Yup, SLW, but at 6 weeks, that comb and wattles looks mighty big for a pullet. I dont see any saddle or hackle feathers yet though. Maybe post a few more pictures in a week or so.

4. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
  5. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Here are 2 of my girls at 13 weeks old..Silver Laced Wynadottes. They looked a lot like your does at that age.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by