Hobbling duck

Bridger Davis

Songster
Jul 25, 2017
Evans Colorado
So I let the ducks out this morning, and the smallest one was just falling over and tripping and kinda lop-sided. I put her in the pen by herself with a mushy combo of mealworms, water, vit b complex, and food. And of course I gave her a container of freshwater on the side. Is that going to be enough? It seems pretty serious, and frankly I'm shocked that something like this could happen overnight!

Last edited:
did a predator get after them and spook them, she could have hurt her leg. Do you have a drake in the flock? theres a lot of possibilities without knowing ages or anything other than how she's acting, she got hurt somehow

did a predator get after them and spook them, she could have hurt her leg. Do you have a drake in the flock? theres a lot of possibilities without knowing ages or anything other than how she's acting, she got hurt somehow

Sorry for the lack of information. They are about 21 weeks old, and she's a cayuga. I don't think any predator would have gotten in, much less spooked them, because they were locked in just the coop part, so they can't even see anywhere outside of the coop. I got rid of the drake last month, so no drakes. And like I said, she's just hobbling all over, kinda like she's drunk honestly...

hmm I've never had a flock of ducks without a drake, they keep the peace and our the hens best protector. Hard to tell if there was a swabble and she got hurt that way , or a predator doesn't have to get in for them to hear it and spook. would think rest and recuperation and what your doing should suffice while she heals but tagging someone that is very knowledgeable.
@WVduckchick

hmm I've never had a flock of ducks without a drake, they keep the peace and our the hens best protector. Hard to tell if there was a swabble and she got hurt that way , or a predator doesn't have to get in for them to hear it and spook. would think rest and recuperation and what your doing should suffice while she heals but tagging someone that is very knowledgeable.
@WVduckchick

Thanks. Yeah she's resting now, and I am trying not to bother her. I did at one point have a drake, but he would always target the smallest duck and mate her and pull out feathers, harass our dog (seriously he would chase sadie around the yard), and since he doesn't lay eggs lol, I really didn't have a will to keep him.

Thanks. Yeah she's resting now, and I am trying not to bother her. I did at one point have a drake, but he would always target the smallest duck and mate her and pull out feathers, harass our dog (seriously he would chase sadie around the yard), and since he doesn't lay eggs lol, I really didn't have a will to keep him.
well maybe ya just needed a different one, all animals are a pain in the seat end when hormones are just starting, but if ya show em your the head duck you'll be better off, discourage the behaviors you don't want, but they are first line of defense and will lay down their lives to protect their hens from danger, so an introduction kinda might have helped with the dog. We didn't have the issue with the swedes cause got the drake as a baby with some chicks as he was all alone, and the dog was told to guard em so the drake was comfortable with him, not so much the neighbors dog that wanted to come visit though, the boxer took his job very seriously was worse than a mother hen with babies, checking on them every 5 minutes from before they got feathers. That drake was a pain when teenage hormones kicked in but dog settled him down real quick too with being so rough with the hens. Do you have a Pond or a pool for them? that makes that job lots easier with less injuries after watching that flock for 8 years

Last edited:
well maybe ya just needed a different one, all animals are a pain in the seat end when hormones are just starting, but if ya show em your the head duck you'll be better off, discourage the behaviors you don't want, but they are first line of defense and will lay down their lives to protect their hens from danger, so an introduction kinda might have helped with the dog. We didn't have the issue with the swedes cause got the drake as a baby with some chicks as he was all alone, and the dog was told to guard em so the drake was comfortable with him, not so much the neighbors dog that wanted to come visit though, the boxer took his job very seriously was worse than a mother hen with babies, checking on them every 5 minutes from before they got feathers. That drake was a pain when teenage hormones kicked in but dog settled him down real quick too with being so rough with the hens. Do you have a Pond or a pool for them? that makes that job lots easier with less injuries after watching that flock for 8 years

WOW, I have a boxer too, what a coincidence! Yeah my dog is totally uninterested in the ducks, and actually, the ducks and the dog were raised together, and the drake and the dog used to be besties, but then hormones kicked in. I have a secure setup now with hardly any predators, and I don't want to pay for food for someone that doesn't lay eggs lol, so I'm not interested in having a drake. My aunt, however, is very happy to have that drake and his newfound lady friend, so they're happy over there : ) And yes, I have a nice setup with a ramp up to a bathtub for them.

yeah when hormones kick in, it's like you be mean to em one more time your gonna be duck dinner, but that is fine you don't have a drake as you don't wish one.

A video of her walking would be helpful.

Is she eating and drinking?

I would run my hand up and down her leg and feel for any inflamed area's and checking the bottom of her feet for any signs of bumblefoot or anything sharp thats poking into her skin.As @Chicken really mentioned could she have gotten into anything toxic?Dead Carcass,Stagnate water or rotten food can all cause botulism.

Its sounds like you have her well taken care of currently.

Back
Top Bottom