Hobby Flock

Spreckles

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2017
Small, backyard flock of Porcelain D'Uccles in southeast Iowa. At posting the flock consists of a roo (technically a cockerel) and 5 females - all laying smallish but tasty eggs - the 3 hens were farm store chicks and the 2 pullets are second generation.

There are also 2 new chicklets, hatched on Memorial Day by my very broody Brahma(assumed) Bantam mamma. She hatched and reared the second generation as well (2 pullets and the cockerel). These birds are very friendly, each with its own personality.

They like to free range in the back yard (fencing required, as I'm in town), and roost in a 12 ft diameter x 6.5 ft high run with a sand floor, and some polycarbonate sheeting overhead to keep the sand drier during wet weather. There is a summer coop for them, which is pretty open, and a little broody box for mamma and her chicklets.

I've been feeding them organic poultry feed from Professional Proteins in Washington, Iowa since inception, and organic sesame seeds for a treat. The seeds work great for baiting them back into their yard when I find they've infiltrated the neighbor's compost pile! I will post some pics and hope you enjoy!

Sorry if the pics don't show up... it failed in post preview mode.
trio hens2.jpg
spreckles2.jpg spreckles with violet.jpg sweet pea.jpg peckin.jpg eggs and flukes.jpg hens in the hood.jpg
chicklets in lilies.jpg

Welcome to BYC. Pretty flock you have!
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Sooo pretty. I have 1 Porcelain D'Uccles in my small flock. She is my best layer. She is also a bit of a loner but a real sweet girl.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom