Hog Feed for Chickens??? What do ya'll think............Miss Prissy?

mtnhomechick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Mountain Home, AR
I found a mill that mixes their feed. Didn't know there was one within 20 miles of me.

Their pellets which they don't mix were more than what I pay locally. So, we were just going to buy deer corn and some hay. But, the guy says most of his customers buy the hog feed cause it's actually better than layer feed and it's only 14.90 for 100 lb. So, I took some. It has 7 different ingredients in it. I can't remember them all but they just made it fresh yesterday. I can only remember corn, oats and alfalfa.

I thought I would give them layer crumbles once a day and then the hog feed in the evening. Plus, I just started free ranging them for a couple hours a day.

Did anyone ever do this? What do ya'll think about feeding hog feed to chickens?

ps........I gave them some tonight and they LOVED it.

Anxious to get some feedback on this.

Thanks

Last edited:
It might be too fatty for them--as pig feed is designed to add to the consumer's fat quickly. As a treat it's probably ok, but I would stick w/ layer feed.

I had a friend last fall find out the her chicken food from the feed mill was actually hog feed. Her egg production went down and her birds developed gout.

I was curious about this as well. My father was here this week and said to feed the chooks pig feed since it will make them grow faster. Of course I haven't bought any, I was going to make a post when I found this one.
lol.png

pips&peeps :

I had a friend last fall find out the her chicken food from the feed mill was actually hog feed. Her egg production went down and her birds developed gout.

omg.......what did she do for them........did they die?​

This question has come up before. Chickens cannot create their own amino acids.
Chicken feed is enriched with aminos while hog feed is not. Read the ingredient list.

I'm no expert but I enjoy reading the nutrition threads and I buy my
feed from a mill too.

I don't think it will make them sick, in fact I'm sure it won't. Chickens
are natural scavengers and eat anything they can find on the farm.

Long term the hog feed "probably" won't give them what they need.
This would depend on how often they free range.

Back
Top Bottom