Holderreads Ducklings!

mamdoe

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Hello!

I just received my Holderreads order today and just had to share my beautiful new babies!
:D

First up are 2 silver appleyards

Four welsh harlequin. I believe 1 male 3 females. The male and one of the females are TSC. Do you think my sexing is accurate?

My bonus ducklings are two gorgeous golden cascades..very excited about them!
I've read they can be auto sexed...but can not find much info otherwise.

Last but not least are the fellas (at least I think they are fellas) and they are looking for a good home ;)
Please contact me if interested! 3 welsh harlequin and a silver appleyard.

Thank you! I'm loving the appleyards! Had read so much about how calm welsh harlequin are, but so far they aren't really living up to that. Hopefully I can win them over with peas and worms!!
Took them outside today since it's 85 and sunny.

We are loving our babies! Wanted to post some one week pics. My daughter is in 4h and we thought it would be a fun project to take a photo each week. So here they are one week old today.
Silver Appleyards, Oma and Daisy

Welsh harlequins, Annie, Luna, Mo and Ginger

And golden cascades, Blue and Fern

One more of Blue checking out the camera.. :p

So in your opinion are the appleyard friendlier and calmer than the WH ducks? I really want WH ducks because of their calm temperament but keep having people tell me they are not as calm as they are supposed to be.

So in your opinion are the appleyard friendlier and calmer than the WH ducks? I really want WH ducks because of their calm temperament but keep having people tell me they are not as calm as they are supposed to be.

Well, they are only a week old. But from day one we could handle the appleyard pretty easily. They settle into our laps once we pick them up and our pretty friendly. The WH peep their heads off when we try to hold them and are super squirmy, but I've been giving them lots and lots of treats, so now they will run up to my hands, climb into my lap and sit with me..they just do not liked being picked up.

Thanks for the info. I am a little disappointed with how the welsh harlequins do not seem to be as calm as they claim they are. Everyone I have talked to say they are not that calm and friendly. I have 4 pekins and 2 mallards. Out of the 6 ducks we only have 1 duck (the 1 male pekin) that is friendly and calm. The 3 female pekins will eat out of our hands, but no longer like to be held or touched much. We spent so much time with them when they were little and it didn't seem to matter. They love us to be outside with them, but everything is on their terms. the mallards have never had much of a personality. the female will be calm when we hold her, but the male has been antisocial and mean from day 1. I really want a calm, friendly breed of duck. I was hoping the welsh harlequins would be the answer. We keep them as pets and my 4 year old loves to interact with them.

Back
Top Bottom