Hole/Cute In Pullets Neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Yoko, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    Oh BYC.. Im posting here again and so close together from my other post form the other day [​IMG]

But luckily this post is different and I just need some advice~
    My rooster lately has been very mean, and so a little bit ago i got home from school and decided to visit my chickens, when i picked up my favorite, i saw she had a small cut/tiny hole, i dont think it goes that deep and i cant really get a good look at it.
    I have her in my room next to right now so i look at her and do what i can for her.
    Breed: Buff Orpington
    Shes acting pretty much the same as usual, but shes a bit jumpy around the other chickens because they were pecking at her.
    And at the sight of this, i have imediately gotten rid of my rooster [​IMG] my dads taking him over to the feed store now.
    I think he did this just today.
    The wound its bleeding a little and i think theres a bit of skin hanging off. Its located right on the bottom of her left earlobe and a bit below that, its not really that big.
    She has access to fresh food and water and i have sraw for her. She is eating and drinking normally from what i can see.

I just wanted to know what i could do to help her like cleaning it off and sticking something on it?

Thanks Ahead of Time
    ~Yoko

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would just keep the area clean and keep her isolated for a few days, until it looks fairly healed (just so others don't pick at it). As you suggested, it's probably minor. But if other chickens see it, they could pick at it. As long as it looks to be healing well, I don't know that I would even put anything on it... Others may suggest Blue Kote or some anti bacterial cream...

3. Yoko

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    Mmk, at the moment im not really sure how or whether i should clean it and what i should do about the little bit of skin hanging off,i think its a bit of her earlobe.

Any help about that would be appreciated~

~Yoko

4. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    I would just keep the area clean and keep her isolated for a few days, until it looks fairly healed (just so others don't pick at it).

I agree. Also, I would dampen a papetowel and gently clean the bloody areas. I would just let the torn skin mend itself or fall off and swipe the wounded areas with anti-bacterial cream. I hope your hen feels better!​

5. Yoko

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    Ok Thank You [​IMG] I shall do~

~ Yoko

Quote:I agree. Also, I would dampen a papetowel and gently clean the bloody areas. I would just let the torn skin mend itself or fall off and swipe the wounded areas with anti-bacterial cream. I hope your hen feels better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by