Hole in Beak??

Graidyn

Chirping
Feb 23, 2020
Upstate NY
Hello everyone - I know I've been posting a lot, sorry. I have a little one week old chick who had a spot on her beak when she arrived from the hatchery last Tuesday. I noticed it, but didn't think much of it. Just thought she had a mark. She's been fairly flighty and skittish so I've only been handling her the twice a day to weigh her. Well, I just realized it's not a black mark on her beak - it's a hole?!?! She's gaining weight right along with everyone else, she eats, drinks, plays and does everything completely normally. None of these guys has had pasty butt or any issues so far. I haven't seen anyone pecking her or bothering her. I have no idea what is going on? What do I do? Her name is Cotton and I *think* she's an EE. (Please excuse my nails, have been afraid to redo them because of fumes with chicks and ducklings in the house and it's not like I go anywhere for people to see them with Covid so.... apologies for the ugliness)
20200324_182135.jpg 20200324_182155.jpg

probably nothing. As long as it's breathing and active I wouldn't worry.

You can do your nails, just don't do in the same room with closed doors. Paint them near ventilation but not where a draft will hit the chicks..

probably nothing. As long as it's breathing and active I wouldn't worry.

You can do your nails, just don't do in the same room with closed doors. Paint them near ventilation but not where a draft will hit the chicks..
Thanks. I think I'll just wait til they're outside. I'd rather be cautious. I hope you're right about Cotton.

I emailed the hatchery to see if they knew anything I could do. They agreed that she has a hole in her beak and there is no way to predict the outcome. It's a wait and see game. They were very happy to hear she's doing well in spite of it, but they gave me a store credit anyway because they can't say definitively she'll be okay (I did not request anything, just wanted to see if there was anything I could do for her) which was very generous of them and they've asked me to keep them updated on how she does.

Does it go all the way thru into her mouth?
Might want to take a look inside.
It may fill in as it grows.
From what I can see, no, it doesn't go all the way through. She's not having any trouble eating or drinking so far, and I'm really hoping that continues. She's such a sweet and pretty little thing, I'll be really sad if the hole gets bigger or causes issues and we have to cull her. Is there any kind of supplement or anything that strengthens beaks that would maybe help?

From what I can see, no, it doesn't go all the way through. She's not having any trouble eating or drinking so far, and I'm really hoping that continues. She's such a sweet and pretty little thing, I'll be really sad if the hole gets bigger or causes issues and we have to cull her. Is there any kind of supplement or anything that strengthens beaks that would maybe help?
Just feed her a good chick starter ration and fresh plain water.
No treats or potions or herbs-n-spices.
Don't panic.... wait and see.

Just feed her a good chick starter ration and fresh plain water.
No treats or potions or herbs-n-spices.
Don't panic.... wait and see.
Okay, that's what I'm doing, with the exception of hydrohen available the first 3 days they were here and once a week for 8 hours (but I do that with all of my chicks and ducklings). And fresh clean water is available at all times, including when hydrohen is out.

I wouldn’t worry about it’s beak and I’m pretty sure it’ll not be there when older, it’ll most likely grow out.

Chicks beaks are pretty soft and aren’t as tough as your adult chickens. I’ve had a few of my chicks/growers catch their beak on the wire mesh (even though there is no sharp points at all) and ended up with grazes or little holes in the tops of their beaks. Sometimes they get too over excited play fighting and chest bumping and it happens...they run into the mesh.

All of them when they are older have no sign of the graze/hole. It either grows over or grows out of the beak.

Even if it didn’t, it could potentially be a little abnormality in the shape of it’s beak, a little dent and it could just remain there, it wouldn’t cause any issue.

As for your nails, as long as you aren't sitting in the brooder with your chicks painting them, you can do your nails. Just go in another room and you’d be good to go 🙂

Back
Top Bottom