Hole in coop

Tld421

Chirping
May 23, 2023
This morning I went to let the chickens out and found a small circular hole in my run. I’m assuming a mouse or rat and of course as a new chicken owner I’m so upset. I knew it was possible but now that it happened I am frustrated.

Anyways my husband surprised me with a chicken coop for our anniversary in April, he is not as educated as I tried to make myself prior to getting the coop so when he had the coop brought to our home he did not know to ask them to dig and lay the predator wire around and under. Or ask them to lift the coop so it’s easier to reach under the lowest point.

Is there anything I can do now to keep this critter and it’s future buddies out of the run? I did close up the hole this morning but now that it knows there is a food source I’m sure that won’t matter.

This is a picture of my coop for reference, we have someone coming to help me build a larger run in a few weeks since I am in a walking cast.
So anything I can do now to hold us until I have someone to help us lift and adjust the coop would be a great help.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6534.jpeg
    IMG_6534.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 161
I love the wood with green.

Chickens don't eat at night but rats will so we remove the feed from the run.
Thank you, my husband had it built to “match” our home 🤣 I do take the feed out of the run at night and just leave the water. I tried to rake out any food that had spilled because my chickens love to scratch at the feeder and dump the food out but I know it wasn’t a great job being in the cast.

Thank you, my husband had it built to “match” our home 🤣 I do take the feed out of the run at night and just leave the water. I tried to rake out any food that had spilled because my chickens love to scratch at the feeder and dump the food out but I know it wasn’t a great job being in the cast.
It's difficult to get all the spilled feed with or without a cast. :) We have sand in the run. It kind of blends in.

Maybe you could place the feeder in a tray (like the ones used for hot water tanks) making cleanup easier? They may also eat what's drop into the tray.

It's difficult to get all the spilled feed with or without a cast. :) We have sand in the run. It kind of blends in.

Maybe you could place the feeder in a tray (like the ones used for hot water tanks) making cleanup easier? They may also eat what's drop into the tray.
This is a great idea, I will try this thank you !

It looks like there’s chicken wire not wire mesh around it? I’d imagine something could squeeze through that as well. You could also still put a predator apron/skirt around (without it being dug into the ground) if you choose

This is a great idea, I will try this thank you !
Had this pan in the shed. It came from the Dollar Tree (oil drain pan). Checked to see if a feeder would fit in it. It does. Might work for you if you find one. Cheaper, too.

Attachments

• IMG_4874.JPG
    IMG_4874.JPG
    745.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4875.JPG
    IMG_4875.JPG
    428 KB · Views: 14
Had this pan in the shed. It came from the Dollar Tree (oil drain pan). Checked to see if a feeder would fit in it. It does. Might work for you if you find one. Cheaper, too.
This is great! I am going to look today!

It looks like there’s chicken wire not wire mesh around it? I’d imagine something could squeeze through that as well. You could also still put a predator apron/skirt around (without it being dug into the ground) if you choose
Yes it’s not the fine mesh wire. Apron will help predictors from outside getting in. Would it be beneficial to try and attach at the bottom inside run floor and then recover with dirt?

Yes it’s not the fine mesh wire. Apron will help predictors from outside getting in. Would it be beneficial to try and attach at the bottom inside run floor and then recover with dirt?
You could attach outside and just lay it on the ground. I think 18-24” is the recommendation? Grass will eventually grow through it. The chicken wire around the rest won’t do much for predator prevention (but I know you said your building a bigger run, so just keep that in mind)

Back
Top Bottom