Hole in egg?

I had two eggs like this a few months ago, and it's weird because my girls don't usually do that. I had two hens that used to break and eat eggs, but after putting fake eggs in the nest for a while, they got the idea not to do that. One day when I went to check for eggs, I saw some wild birds in the coop. I think they were the ones doing it. If wild birds can get into your coop, maybe you also have wild birds pecking eggs?
I have a few small wild ones that have figured out how to get around the top plastic fencing. I haven't seen them in the coop though just the daytime run. But, thank you! I will keep an eye out for that too!

That looks like it is on the fat end of the egg and it is perfectly round. A hen stands up a little when she lays the egg and the fat end of the egg comes out first. I'd check that nest carefully to see if you have a nail or screw sticking out that the egg could have hit.

The hens walk on the eggs when they are getting on and off the nest. If the shell is thin a claw might poke a hole in the egg. Or a hen might peck at an egg, usually not hard enough to cause a problem but it can happen. But that looks too perfectly round to be either a claw puncture or a peck.

Back
Top Bottom