Hole picked into my egg! Why?

Fombellchicks

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
Western PA
I found this egg today with a hole punched/picked into it.

Can anybody tell me why chickens sometimes do that? Just out of curiosity?

The shell is just a bit punched in, exposing the air cell, the inner membrane that contains the egg yolk & egg white is still intact. Kind of like a slightly cracked egg that did not leak that you sometimes see in the store box.

Any reason why I should have not eat this egg?
7095_egg_dec_13_picker.jpg

Try putting some golf balls or fake eggs in the nest box, I had a hen that was doing this during the summer and I put some in, that fixed the problem !!

If it is a hen pecking it try fixing it now, once the start to peck/eat them it's very hard to break !!

It should be fine to eat, I would eat it soon wouldnt let it sit to long. I use to give the pecked ones to the dog !!

I'm no expert, but I have a different theory. I've had 2 or 3 eggs that have a very thin spot on that end of the egg. I mean a VERY thin, tiny spot. Chickens peck spots. They just can't help it. Mine didn't peck them, but I may have just grabbed 'em up before they noticed the "spot". I have no idea what causes that spot. I'm curious to know. I wonder if you've noticed any similar spot on the end of your eggs?

I have had a few pecked before but I think in my case it is just the hens being too rough when they are rearranging the eggs that are in the nest when they go in to lay. None of mine have ever been eaten (that I am aware of) of I have not worried about it. I just put them in the fridge and use those first.

Ok, I checked the shell - that part where the whole/indent was does not appear any thinner than the rest of the shell.

I also checked the bedding - I use wood chips and it wasn't a very thick layer. So I added some more chips to it to have a bit more cushion for the falling egg. This was the first egg with an open spot. It was also the first egg of that size (like an XL from the store) so maybe it really just needs a bit more bedding to be safe.

I will watch to see what happenes with the next ones.

Thank you for all the quick replies!

This is a great forum for a NEW EGGER.
smile.png

Quote:
I use soft hay on top of a layer of wood chips for extra warmth and cushioning in the nest boxes. Especially in winter. If you can get second cutting hay, it is very soft and green, just like grass. (first cut is stiff and stemmy)
If your chickens are not used to it at this time of year, I would expose them slowly, a bit at a time, just in case they would gorge themselves on it. Too much could cause a crop impaction. Mine are used to it as we have it year round for the horses.

Back
Top Bottom