Holistic Thread

Apr 5, 2022
NW WA
Are there any current holistic raising threads for chickens here? I’m fully aware there are going to be big opinions, but for those of us choosing to use more natural approaches it’d be a great resource. If there isn’t a thread maybe one can be started? I’m still learning as we go with our first chickens…can contribute as I learn but contributors with experience would also be helpful!

What is holistic?
A more natural, proactive, “whole” health model for raising chickens. Organic, non-processed, natural cure vs over the counter medicine, etc. Example…DE has real safety concerns so an alternative could be discussed and used by those who want to try something safer. Herb/EO use is another example. Organic feed, fermented scratch, ACV in water, etc.

A more natural, proactive, “whole” health model for raising chickens. Organic, non-processed, natural cure vs over the counter medicine, etc. Example…DE has real safety concerns so an alternative could be discussed and used by those who want to try something safer. Herb/EO use is another example. Organic feed, fermented scratch, ACV in water, etc.
Ahh. Thanks for explaining.

A sharp knife is probably the best holistic management practice. An ability to cull hens and roosters to keep the overall health of the flock is very important. Knowing exactly how many chickens you need and generally it is not a lot of birds and keeping to that number through culling is a very good practice.

Keeping your flock young, while keeping a multi generational flock also keeps your birds healthier. Older birds tend to have more issues, and decreased production. One or two successful broody hens is nice, but more is not necessary.

Not wasting feed, is crucial in saving costs. And recognizing that different times of the year, different ages of birds, different weather, climate and temperatures all effect the use of feed and health of the flock.

Good ventilation is probably the next large mistake. In an attempt to keep birds warm in cold weather, beginners tend to lock up the coop, after all, we have been told since childhood to shut the door! But good ventilation to remove moisture and fumes while not in a draft is going to give much healthier birds.

Space is also VERY CRITICAL. Too many times, chicks are kept in too small of space to keep them safe in warm, when they should be exposed to colder temperatures and space to exercise and get better feathers and strength while growing.

What often starts out as enough space for chicks, rapidly becomes not enough space for adult birds. Feather picking, bullying are both strong signs of over crowding and the easiest solution is a sharp knife.

I do believe, a good commercial feed needs to be the backbone of the feed, but outside grazing gives more flavorful eggs. I also firmly believe in clean water. Trust me, no animal in the wild or in 'natural' lifestyle is drinking water with ACV in it.

Probably not what you wanted, but these things have more impact on the overall health of a flock than the things you mentioned.

Mrs K

Keeping your flock young, while keeping a multi generational flock also keeps your birds healthier. Older birds tend to have more issues, and decreased production. One or two successful broody hens is nice, but more is not necessary.
Mrs K
I suspect, but cannot prove, that flocks develop a cultural heritage over time. One generation teaches the next generation how to best survive.

A sharp knife is probably the best holistic management practice. An ability to cull hens and roosters to keep the overall health of the flock is very important. Knowing exactly how many chickens you need and generally it is not a lot of birds and keeping to that number through culling is a very good practice.

Not wasting feed, is crucial in saving costs. And recognizing that different times of the year, different ages of birds, different weather, climate and temperatures all effect the use of feed and health of the flock.

Good ventilation is probably the next large mistake. In an attempt to keep birds warm in cold weather, beginners tend to lock up the coop, after all, we have been told since childhood to shut the door! But good ventilation to remove moisture and fumes while not in a draft is going to give much healthier birds.

Space is also VERY CRITICAL. Too many times, chicks are kept in too small of space to keep them safe in warm, when they should be exposed to colder temperatures and space to exercise and get better feathers and strength while growing.

What often starts out as enough space for chicks, rapidly becomes not enough space for adult birds. Feather picking, bullying are both strong signs of over crowding and the easiest solution is a sharp knife.

I do believe, a good commercial feed needs to be the backbone of the feed, but outside grazing gives more flavorful eggs. I also firmly believe in clean water. Trust me, no animal in the wild or in 'natural' lifestyle is drinking water with ACV in it.

Probably not what you wanted, but these things have more impact on the overall health of a flock than the things you mentioned.

Mrs K
I agree with this. I had chickens growing up. If the hen got sick....it was put down, unless it was something manageable. I care about my Chickies but they have a purpose..their whole life they have a purpose, even at the end. But each flock owner has different goals. Me personally I want a little more self reliance. They give me eggs and umm meat :oops:

Back
Top Bottom