Holy Crap! My New Layer Just Laid TWO Eggs!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickLover98, Aug 11, 2010.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My new Layer Chica has been laying for only 2 days! Today when I went out to let them free range, everything was normal! When i let them in, Chica was wallkung up the ramp to the henboxes with an egg halfway out of her bottom. She couldnt make it to a box, so she laid it on the ledge right in front of me! I went in and to my dismay, she cracked it from falling on the ledge. A few minutes later, she was down on the ground with the others and she popped out ANOTHER egg. They were both hard-shelled and both were a fairly good size. The second one was slightly deformed! Holy Crap, Chica! How'd they ever fit????????????

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Wow, and you actually saw this? I didn't know that could happen.

3. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    [​IMG] that is strange.... what breed is she? Good little layer you got there! [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Most of them do OK when they start, but some take a while to get the kinks worked out of their internal egg laying factory. That is when you get the weird eggs. Since both had a hard shell, it sounds like she was egg bound and luckily something worked the first egg lose and unplugged the system. Usually when they lay two eggs close together like that, her internal factory does not have enough shell material ready and the second egg is laid without a shell or maybe with a very thin soft shell. Here's hoping she gets the kinks worked out soon.

5. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    She is Amber Link and both eggs were hard shelled. We thought she laid an egg earlier this morning, but that must've been Thalia or Flower. Yes, I actually saw this happen. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by