Holy Feathers, Y'all. Coop is done. Help me check my list.

406Jen

Chirping
Mar 22, 2015
I took a LOOOONG time (2 months) to build my gorgeous coop, but I hang the door tomorrow and pick up my girls on Friday. I have A LOT OF QUESTIONS so I hope this is the best miscellaneous place to post all of them.

**General Info: I'm in SW Montana, high elevation. We can get down to -40 in the winter, over 100 in the summer. Coop and run are both covered and fully enclosed with 1/2" mesh fabric. Coop has floating double walls and I'll put insulation panels in for winter. Coop is 3x5. Run is 5x9. I am purchasing pullets - hatched 4 months ago. I have selected one each of Jersey Giant, Black Star, and Buff Orpington. They've all been raised in the same flock. I plan to let the girls free range when I'm home/outside/available. Our yard is right around 1/2 acre.

1) See any issues with these breeds with the above information?
2) I need a feeder that can hang under the coop, water source that will hang under the coop. This hangs there in the winter, too - right? I mean - the girls can go outside in the winter to eat, right? I'll wrap the run with plastic sheeting to block snow/wind.
3) Do I put the roosting bar next to the nesting boxes? If I put it further away, it will be over the access door. Is that an issue in the winter? Or does their body heat take care of that issue?
4) Dry = better, right? That is, during the really warm days, I don't need to mist them, right? Dust and shade is enough?
5) I'm unsure if I'll be doing the deep litter method or not. Right now the run is grass (lawn). I have a 4'x4'x3" box framed with mesh fabric stapled over for a "grazing box" of sorts, so the grass grows through. I know the rest will be turned into dirt very soon. What else should I lay down for them? I've read a lot about diatomaceous earth, sweet PDZ, sawdust, etc. Frankly I'm a bit overwhelmed and will never get these birds if I just don't DO IT. So knowing that I'll probably change things up a bit in a few weeks, I want to keep these girls healthy and comfortable for right now - suggestions?
6) Um - do I have to candle eggs?
7) What else do I need? What am I forgetting?

So....exited! I have names and everything picked out, although my 2.5 year old would like for one to be named "Rooster."

1) I see no problems with the breeds, they are all three great breeds.
2) They make hanging tube feeders and there are waterers available that can hang and have nipples on the bottom that the chickens peck to get water. It is okay to put feed and water outside but I personally only put water outside for them. They have there feed inside when they want it. The reason I don't put the feed outside is because it can attract rodents and they have plenty to scratch at and eat outside.
3) It is totally fine to put your roost next to the nesting boxes.
4) The chickens will be plenty cool if they have shade and a place to dust.
5) Your chickens will be fine with just some grass outside to graze. I love the idea of the grazing box!
6) Unless you are trying hatch eggs you don't have any reason to candle the eggs. Candling is usually done to check on the status of the developing chick/embryo inside the egg.
7) Make sure your chickens have access to grit. Chances are they will be able to find a lot of it in their run but you may want to supply them with some inside their coop if you are worried about it.

Best of luck with your chickens!

Ventilation is very important for both summer and winter,
'body heat' will not warm the coop(feathers keep them warm) and shouldn't anyway,
they need lots of fresh air and a way for the moist ammonia laden air to escape the coop.
Pics of your coop/run would help.

Roost bar should be higher than nests or they will sleep in nests and poop in them, resulting in poopy eggs.
If you're not using a poop board under the roost, it's good to place the roosts away from the path between the pop door and the nests,
so they don't walk thru all the night poops to get into the nests....again poopy eggs.

No problem changing things up once you get them.....most folks do.

Candling eggs can be used to find irregularities in eating eggs as well as for incubation development.....
......most back yard keepers don't do it, they understand(or will learn) of common irregularities, some folks who sell tot he public do.

In the run add some levels, and some hideouts. Birds (like people?) need some alone space. When confined to a coop/run they do better if there is a roost in the run, or a pallet up on block that they can get under or up on top.

I do not supply feed 24/7, as that does draw rodents and very few chicken houses are built tight enough to keep out mice. I also think that there is a lot of feed waste that way. I do use the water nipples on a white bucket for the summer, and a black bucket for the winterr. However, in the winter when the temperatures fall below 10 degrees, or very cloudy days, I use just a black rubber bowl, that I can stomp out the ice.

People just getting started worry a great deal about keeping the birds warm in cold weather. What one needs to do is keep the birds dry. In order to do that, you need ventilation, considerably more than most people think. Imagine being in a car full of people, without the heat on in cold weather, almost imediately the windows fog over, just from the breath and condensation. If you think about it, the people next to the doors will feel the moisture more quickly.

So you need adequate ventilation and SPACE above their heads, and away from the walls. Set up your roosts so that they are close to 24 inches BELOW the ceiling, and 12 inches from the walll. If you attach a roost to the wall that is ok, but make sure that there is 1 foot per bird of roost space + 1 foot away from each wall. So for your 3 birds you need about 5 feet of roost.

In that small of coop, I think a poop board would be very healthy. I would only expect them to use that for sleeping and laying.

Mrs K

All very helpful comments. I will take some shots and post them today.

Thank you!

Ok...some pics of the coop to help with roost questions

This is taken outside the clean out door looking toward the nesting boxes. Do I put shavings or something soft in them? The open space above has mesh over it, in case you can't see it

This is from the same spot, different angle. Looking toward the access door on the bottom of the floor

This is a wide view From outside the human door of the run

The floor will have laminate tile, and I do plan to use a removable poop board

Last pic didn't load

This is outside the human door, and a wider view of the coop - last pic was before work was done, but it gives you an idea of the area

Back
Top Bottom