Home-brew Incubators/Hatchers

ki4got

Hatch-a-Holic
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Roanoke VA
I'm just getting back into chickens after 15 years. No idea where my old one went to...

My plan is to start back with the HovaBator (1602N), add a fan I already had laying around, add a turner I got on Ebay, and start there. Then over the winter when it's not feasible to build more coops (i'm a build-a-holic - and no I don't use hubby's power tools, he uses MINE. LOL) Then I can work on building separate incubator and hatcher to tinker with.

I want to experiment with different heat sources. I have a couple heat emitters left over from the reptile days, and want to tinker with using those, light bulbs, and the fexible heat tape among others.

So in the mean time I'm eyeballing others' projects, shopping the Habitat Re-Store looking for just the right... whatever, and mulling ideas over in my head until it all comes together.

I know there's a huge list of pages with peoples' projects, but I would like to hear input regarding what you've used/tried and loved/hated about it all, including "Did it really work?". 8)

My hatcher and my big bator are home made. I use the water heater thermostat and light bulbs to heat. They work well so I have no intention of changing them. I have been kicking around the idea aof a still air incubator and have toyed with what to use. Someone mentioned a dehydrator. Good idea I thought.
Hates - ive got to many hatches going on to power down my incubating and hatching stuff but a method to add water. I have to open both to add water.

Quote:
do you have any pics you could link?

and thanks for the input about water... i'll have to make note of that and remember when it comes build time.

2011-09-06_14-27-29_147.jpg

and the hatcher

2011-09-06_14-28-05_323.jpg

My incubator is homemade. I bought a small fridge from an auction for $17.00 and ordered an Incukit from ebay. Added a water dish and it works great. I just hatched 15 chicks!
I went to this from a cooler/bator that i also made myself.(needed more room) I used a cooler from the fish store (free) a light kit from walmart ($6) and a fan from an old pc (also free). I hatched many eggs with that smaller one as well.

Back
Top Bottom