Home for abandoned duckling

mdmcare

In the Brooder
May 16, 2015
New york
hello. I have a duckling that appears to be 1-2 weeks old. I know nothing of ducks but have been trying to do my homework on this sweet thing.
A mama duck brought her duckling in my pool and could not get them out. I put out a ramp for the duckling and all made it safely to mom except for one. She left him behind. I fished him out and got it to her before she left my yard but she listened for him and walked the opposite direction. Cold and terrified I finally refound this little thing from its crys and brought in to warm up.
I contacted my local wildlife rescue and they told me to bring it to the SPCA. This was not a good solution in my eyes.
This baby is recieving a lot of love because he's very scared but from my research it sounds like reintroducing him to the wild will be nearly impossible. It looks at me as his mama and I only want the best for this sweet thing.
I have dogs I do not really trust with a duck and a baby due in 8 weeks that will consume all my time.
I would love to keep this baby but the winters are very long in ny and I don't know that I could get a proper permant cage ready and also, I don't know that I would have the time I would want to dedicate to it.
I think a farm or someone looking for a pet duck may be the best solution. This baby is very spoiled sinces it is the only one here and I thinks this baby loves the attention and loves to cuddle.
I am able to keep the duck until I find a great home for he or she. I truly believe this sweet thing deserves nothing but a great home and a lot of love and attention.
I wish I could keep it but was just trying to save the little thing until it grew it's wings and could find its forever home. Please let me know it you have any ideas how to find its perfect home. Thanks

You might check online for a duck rescue organization in your area. Maybe also check in with your local dept. of fish and game for further resources if it was a wild duck mama. What a cutie -- I hope all turns out well.

If you have facebook, a lot of animal lovers do the rubbing elbows thing there. There are farmers, rescuers, and park workers that all join up. As a matter of fact, there is a fairly big water fowl sanctuary out there somewhere. If I were anywhere near you, I'd take your Mallard to add to the 4 ducks I've rescued this year. Sure is a cutie though. Good Luck.

Thank you for the info. I will definitely look into those. It's a sweet little baby and love it dearly already but I just want the best for him or her!

Back
Top Bottom