Home for one guinea

Bammpamm

Hatching
Dec 6, 2015
Hello. Just joined this forum to get info on guinea fowl. I live in an apartment in Columbus, Ohio and one day a few months ago a guinea showed up. I have no idea where he came from and have never seen one here before. Eventually, some neighbors started feeding him and finally, I joined in a week ago. We are worried that he will not survive the winter here. It got down to 28 last night with a light frost everywhere. His feathers on his back looked funny to me this morning. I'm worried about him. Management does not want us to put some kind of shelter out for him. We found a place that will take him but we have to catch him ourselves and I don't think that is possible; at least not for me. My neighbor tried and was unsuccessful. Does anybody live close by who could add him to your collection? We call him Buddy. We are all quite attached to him. Preferably we could keep him safe through the winter but I just don't know how we can do that. Thank you so much for any suggestions, help, etc.

Thanks for the info. We will switch him to chicken feed. There are trees and he was sleeping up there. He seems to be friends with 4 ducks. They are always together and he chases other ducks away from the food but not these four. I wonder if he cuddles up with them to sleep at night.

Thanks for the info. We will switch him to chicken feed. There are trees and he was sleeping up there. He seems to be friends with 4 ducks. They are always together and he chases other ducks away from the food but not these four. I wonder if he cuddles up with them to sleep at night.
I'm sure he needs friends!! I love my two guineas, sometimes they sleep in the trees! They love the chickens but the chickens don't really like them, LOL

Copper2, I love this guinea too. I think they are so funny when they come running from somewhere!!!

If you could get him caught (way easier said then done!) I would be willing to add him to my flock as I don't think that he would survive the winter without some sort of shelter. I live near Cleveland, but I would be willing to drive down and/or meet you half way. If he survived this long he deserves a good home. I would guess that the easiest way to catch him would be just before dark. If it were me I would get myself a net (I use a fishing net when I have to catch ours for some reason) and snag him that way. They are much less likely to fly or run off if it is starting to get dark and that should increase your chances, especially if he is only getting food in one spot.

Quote: Definitely! Catching guineas is all about strategy and stealth. Chasing won't work at all and will just make it all the more difficult.

Thank you so much for your offer to take "Buddy", Gandalgoose, and for the info on catching him. A few days ago when I went to feed him in the morning, he had ice hanging from his back feathers. I felt terrible. I haven't been on this website for a while as he disappeared but after a few weeks I found him at a larger pond nearby with his duck friends and a bunch of geese.
I will check with my neighbor and see if she has made any progress in finding a home for him. I will contact you later today with an update and see if you are still willing to take him and when we could meet. If we can't catch him, I am thinking about hiring someone to catch him for us. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom