Apr 18, 2021
I got a chick that hatched with no neurological movement in the leg. I move the leg, it quickly goes back. I grab my chick so its back is against the palm of my hand. So the chick is straight up and down. I put my finger on the pad of the foot & push the leg towards the keel. When the foot reached the body, the toes curled over my finger. Versus with the other foot, the toes did not curl.

This chick either needs to be culled or operated on. Any tips? I decided I will try operating. I'm an experienced chicken keeper & I've operated on bumblefoot before. But never a chick or a bird this size... I plan to disinfect my wire cutters, they are fairly clean still, no rust or sticky, etc. So I'm not worried about any infection from that. I've got peroxide to disinfect the foot before and after the operation. The chick I feel needs not to go another day. Because I've waited as long as I can. I was hoping I could wait it out until the chick was a bit bigger. But the chick is already starting to have a lesser quality of life.

Where should I cut the leg off at?

After the leg is cut, I'll be dipping the leg into ice water then dipping it into peroxide. Afterward, I'll pinch flour all over the area to help stop bleeding.

But my main concern is, did I wait too long? The other leg is a little banged up too so I'll disinfect it. But what should so do post-operation? I'm nervous because this is my first time for this...
Here's the leg.
It's the chicks left leg

Any extra tips would be a big help. Especially because I'll have to go close into the thigh.

Is this still a good idea? Or should I cull?

Attachments

• 20210606_215852.jpg
    20210606_215852.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210606_215639.jpg
    20210606_215639.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 26
I'm sorry, I would cull.
Also. If you operated on this chick, how would you anesthetize? You can't just cut off a leg on a baby chick with no anesthesia! That would really be cruel. Please don't do that.
The chick sadly died, I kept it on pain meds and had a friend come see the chick. We decided to wait and see what happened. Because we thought even on pain meds, the chick would suffer greatly once the foot got cut off. It got really bad the morning of it's death. & I just kept it on pain meds and let it pass on it own. It went peacefully. It was planned upon if if was still alive when it came to 6-10 weeks we would then amputate as it would be safer.
Also, sedation is a weird thing on chickens, especially young chicks who are weak. It would kill it just as fast as if we cut the leg off without it.

Back
Top Bottom