Home made auto waterer

LeviWalker

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012
This is something I just finished today and wanted to share it.

It is plumbed like a toilet except the water is held in the 18 gallon Rubbermaid container. The water then flows into the 10 foot long 2 inch PVC pipe that has poultry nipples on it. These were purchased off eBay for like $8 for 25 with shipping. There area total of 17 on the pipe which is enough to water about 30 chickens in the full heat of summer. The vertical pipe at the end is to allow flow so the water will always equalize into the lower 2 inch pipe. As they drink the water it drains from the 18 gallon reservoir (which is about 60% filled) and when it gets about half way empty, it fills back up to the top, just like a toilet. The only thing I will have to watch is how long the water stays in the "tank". In the summer it could get pretty gnarly if it sits too long. However I have about 30 hens in this run so they are drinking 4-5 gallons a day now so it should not be an issue. However, I think a 5 gallon bucket would actually work better to keep the water fresh.

Automatic watering for all our chickens for about $50.

Thanks! Actually I am a software engineer ;)

However since creating our "hobby farm" I have become plumber, electrician, carpenter, veterinarian and general laborer. :)

Looks nice but for whatever reason the one I made the chickens won't drink from the nipples!

Hope yours do:D

Yea I was worried they would not take to it but they really didnt skip a beat and seem to be fine with it. They all drink from it without any problem.

Nicely done! I think you're right about a smaller container being better to keep the water fresh. Maybe a couple days if you know where the full level is then turn off the water supply and see how much your flock drinks then if you figure for a double size of that for the container it should give you a safety margin even if the water line or valve fails. Adding in 1 tbsp per gal of apple cider vinegar seems to be a generally recomended methods here to keep the water fresh by preventing algae and it's good for the chickens they say.

Looks nice but for whatever reason the one I made the chickens won't drink from the nipples!
Hope yours do:D
Take away their normal water long enough for them to be thirsty. Throw enough scratch or whatever to get them over by the nipples or call them if that will do it. Sit and tap the nipples so the water drips out. Usually they seem to be curious enough to investigate that sooner or later one will take a peck at it and then realize "OH MY GOD THERE'S WATER IN THAT THING!!!" Then the others see the first one drinking and it's the usual "'WHAT DID YOU FIND --I WANT IT!!!" At least that was my experience. I did see a couple people say they put a little peanut butter on the tip of the nipple to get them interested. Good luck!

UPDATE ON THE WATERER:

This thing really works great. The water container is not too large as I had feared and it stays clean. Of course I have 30 birds using it and its been hotter than all get out here so that helps. However, if I were to do it again, I would use a smaller container, like a 5 gallon bucket. If you buy the nipples from ebay make sure you get twice the number you need. The quality controls of the factories in China must be pretty low as there are a few bad ones in the bag I got. But, I paid like $8 for 25 with shipping right out of Shanghai so I cant complain.

Back
Top Bottom