Home made dog food?

I've made food for my dogs before..

1/3 meat
1/3 starch (I usually used rice)
1/3 veggies (preferably brightly colored-carrots spinach, etc)

I cook the meat, add the rice and let that cook, then add the veggies without cooking anymore..It helps it cool off, and not cooking the veggies so much should help keep the nutrition
smile.png

Dunno what a vet would think of it..But it seemed to work for me when all the pet food was being recalled a year and a half ago..

You know, Morning Dove, you probably don't even need to cook the rooster bits. I feed my dogs raw food and have for years. I would take the claws off the feet before feeding but others don't even bother doing that.

Quote:
Oh, I just have some organ meat to use up, we intend to eat the rest!

Do you feed your dog the bones?? That can be dangerous for dogs, because they splinter so easily! Last time my dog got into the chicken bones in the trash, he ended up with nasty bloody diarrhea!

Dove

Yes, cooked bones do splinter easily and can cause problems, and the large cooked bones, ie femur bones from cows, can crack the dogs' teeth. Raw chicken bones, however, are no problem - ask any coyote
wink.png
I also feed raw pork bones but usually draw the line at beef bones. I always acompany the bones with plenty of meat to cushion any possible problems. I've had no problems feeding dogs raw meat and bones and it has made for healthy rarely-see-the-vet kinda dogs. Oh, and it doesn't turn them into live chicken munchers, either!

PM me if you want more info on this, otherwise just throw the leftovers out to the pups and bon appetite
big_smile.png

Do not go feeding chicken bones to dogs intentionally. They can splinter and get stuck in the throat. While some dogs (especially those who grew up eating bones) will be fine, others will end up needing an endoscopy to remove the bones...I've seen it first hand! And you should definitely cook the organs first to avoid bacterial contamination and nasty diarrhea!

My recipe for my mini poodle is about the same as the one posted by Morning Dove:

1 lb. ground turkey
1 cup rice - white or brown
2 cups vegetables - green beans, carrots, winter squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli, potatoes, lima beans, summer squash, etc. but NO ONIONS

I cook up the turkey, rice and a TB of oil in my pressure cooker - 8 minutes for white rice, 12-15 minutes for brown rice, natural release of pressure, then stir in the veggies

My vet said my little fella was very healthy, lots of energy, acts like a puppy, and has stayed between 9-10 lbs. for the past few years, very good for an 11 yr. old doggie!

I've cooked for my dogs, my Mom's dog, her neighbor's dogs and many others.

I also used the ratio of 1/3 protein (meat, fish, liver or eggs), 1/3 starch (rice, oats, pasta) and 1/3 veg (wide variety of colors). I avoided onions, but used garlic and other herbs. I also added olive oil and finely ground eggshells to supplement when needed.

Fresh fruits are great snacks, especially apples. Peanut butter is great too.

No bones, but would cook bones and scoop out the marrow for a tasty treat.

I tried to cook for my cat, but she won't have anything to do with it. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom