Home owners insurance problems

I just got off phone with GEICO. They noticed that we didn't have Homeowners insurance with they, and wanted to give me a quote. they asked if we had any pets, I said yes, a cat and some chickens. They told me they didn't have home insurance themselves, but were a broker, and had many vendors to choose from, and I could save money on my auto policy if I combined both through them. He searched his computer, and then came back and said, "sorry, because you have chickens, we do not have any companies who will give you insurance". I searched to find this thread. I live in a single Family home, much less then an acre, with 1 cat and 4 chickens. However they didn't ask me how many. Our city and HOA allow chickens. But now the insurance company istelling me I can't get home insurance. I think this is crazy. I'm now thinking I should not have included the chickens as pets when they asked me. After all they are actually food, not pets. They lay us eggs, and when were done with them, we will eat them. I'll have to think about that next time I call an insurance company.

We just had our insurance (Foremost) canceled because we were thinking about getting pigs. So, we switched to Farm Bureau. $500,000 coverage and only $750 or so a year. We also have an umbrella policy and it gives us the $500k coverage on our cars, too. Farm Bureau actually encourages us to expand. They didn't ask at all about how many birds we have. And, they were/are easy to work with in making sure our firearms are covered without asking too many questions or wanting any real info on them. Plus, we get discounts for lots of stuff through them.

Back
Top Bottom