1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homegrown eggs making husband sick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tabetha, Nov 20, 2010.

1. tabetha

tabetha Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    San Diego area
    We were so excited to have our chickens and own homegrown eggs. A few weeks ago though, my husband got sick, we thought it was the flu. Turns out, every time he eats the eggs, or even food cooked with them, he gets an upset, crampy stomach. Today I ate a brownie made with our eggs, and I feel it too. Has anyone ever heard of this issue?

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Test your birds for salmonella.

3. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Quote:Yes do this..

And make sure you wash the eggs before cracking them open.. Your hands too. There still may have been poo on them.

4. tabetha

tabetha Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    San Diego area
    How do we do that? No one else seems to have a problem, the kids haven't had any issues.... which is what puzzles me

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That's really odd. I could understand it if you were eating raw or undercooked eggs, but cooking kills bacteria, so that you don't get sick from it. Brownies are thoroughly cooked, even if you didn't thoroughly cook the eggs. Is there any way that your chickens could have been medicated or eaten something that is being passed through to their eggs, that you are reacting too?

6. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    You know what, I have been having this problem lately, and I am the only one in my family that has been. I am the one who wanted, bought, and care for my chickens. I recently found out the reason why. Is it possible that your hubby is having problems with his gallbladder? That is the culprit with me.

Mine, wierdly enough, was contributed to by a reduced fat diet that I was on for several years and quit suddenly. We eat relatively healthy almost all the time, but earlier this summer, we got so busy that we were doing the whole stop twice a week for take out or quick fix meals at home because meal planning went to to wayside. When my chickens started laying well, we started eating breakfast for dinner quite a bit. About two weeks ago, we made fried deer tenderloin, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, and GRAVY. After the gravy, I had a full-blown gall bladder attack that lasted for several days. My friend the Doc said that it was because my body had not had a lot of fat for so long, and then all of a sudden it was overloaded. I have been more careful since then, and my symptoms are improving. I am looking for herbal remedies to help with this, and am going to try to manage it. I had eggs at lunch today with no ill effects.

Oh, the symptoms i experienced, just in case you want to compare, were nausea, increased hiccupping, acid taste after eating (never done that one before), increased gassiness, and the worst one (the one that made me call my friend) severe pain behind the right shoulder blade that was not relieved by anything. I woke up in the middle of the night with this pain, and at first, thought I was having a heart attack. I seriously had to consider what side of the body your heart is on, because the pain was so intense that I just couldn't think straight.

7. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    I don't think there is too much "fat" in eggs! [​IMG]

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    1 large egg has 5 grams of fat in it.

9. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Not sure here either, but hubby here can't eat duck eggs. i think they are too rich for him. Every time he does he gets the same symptoms you describe. Whether they are fried or boiled same thing. Could it be the richness in home grown eggs? Do you give them scraps or just commercial feed? I think my eggs taste richer than store bought eggs, and that's probably why they taste better, and because they are fresh, but maybe they are richer than store bought. You could try eating store bought eggs for a few days and see what happens.

10. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    My wife got salmonella and had flu like symptoms. From what I understand, salmonella is quite hard for humans to fight. My guess is that he got salmonella and, in fact, still has it. You may have a bit more of a natural immunity. That is especially true if you eat a lot of yogurt which makes it harder for salmonella to take hold. I would have your husband see the doctor for this reason plus one other reason. Indugestion from eating rich foods can be a sign of an impending heart attack. Probably not the case if you feel it too, but it wouldn't hurt to get checked either way. Otherwise, all you have is anonymous medical advice from the internet.

P.S. If he goes to the doctor, make sure he doesn't start with, "I read on the internet..." Doctors hate that and immediately shut down their brains.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by