Homemade Chicken Feed Recipes

littlels

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
We allow our chickens free range over the whole backyard garden area, but we also still offer commercial food for eating at free will. They STILL go through the commercial food like crazy and we actually have a hard time getting some of the pullets to go outside to forage. They prefer to just stay inside and eat that food.

Anyway, I know some people don't like to share their secret recipes, but we would like to start mixing our own chicken feed by going to the mill and getting what we need to mix together. We are not sure where to start so I was hoping some of you seasoned chicken feed mixers could give us some of your recipes.

I am sure some people will be along to post. If you search there are threads about this on the site. I can tell you this from my research, if you are thinking you will save money by mixing your own that probably is not going to be the case. Good luck with this.

I did find a few posts about this and I guess I should have looked harder before posting. I would not be surprised if it costs more to make, but I heard that it is more hardy so they wouldn't go through as much at a time like the crumbles. They knock so much all over the ground and then it gets smashed into the ground when they walk all over it. I was hoping that the cost would even out a little bit if they don't eat as much. Plus, I figure that if they knock some on the ground, they can at least find the grains to pick it up and eat more of it than they do now.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/4477/everyone-post-your-best-homemade-chicken-feed-recipes
here is a good long thread

You can see my BYC page for what I like to feed if you wish, too!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom