Homemade corn, wheat, and soy free layer feed

"Oats and peas are high in protein, so I don't need that much fish meal. Plus, some places I've read said feeding at higher rates can cause eggs to taste fishy. Should it be higher?"

They may be higher in protein, but what is the amino acid composition? Protein is only as good as the limiting amino acid.

Clint

because the blue egg layers have higher nutritional requirements and home made feed recipes are nearly always inadequate in numerous ways; amino acid profile, trace minerals, Ca/Ph ratio, inclusion limits/ANFs exceeded...

Quote:
I make my own feed and have also been struggling to find the right balance without breaking the budget. Would you be willing to share your recipe?

Renee - I'll send you a message on the facebook about that.
smile.png

Where do you folks find your ingredient information?
I would love to research this further and make my own feed, but I don't have any idea where to start.

why wheat-free? I get the no soy, no corn thing, but I'm curious about the wheat (and I'm gluten-free myself... if my chickens eat wheat, are they passing gluten on in their eggs???)

This is the brand of food I've been buying and feeding my chicks: http://www.scratchandpeck.com/products - the Free, no soy/corn kind. They are doing great.

Quote:
The grain and the peas complement each other in amino acid content. Plus, the fish protein has all the amino acids, and is really high in methionine. Both peas and oats (relatively) are high in lysine.

Back
Top Bottom