Homemade feed questions?

I really get the desire to provide a more natural type of food. I have wanted to as well and looked into my options many times. I've even been forced to mix a variety of locally available foods when it wasn't feasible to use pelleted feed.

Fermenting your grain/seed mix is a great idea since you aren't cooking or sprouting to suppress/eliminate the anti-digestive constituents of the seeds.

I have done the math. I buy all of my food grade seeds from a wholesaler. I can get BOSS and flax much cheaper than you are paying. All the other seeds are significantly higher here.
I would be thrilled to be able to get Barley and oats for $10-12 per #50.

Following are the prices that have just been updated by my wholesaler:
BOSS $14.66/#40
Flax $33.16/#50 = 0.66 cents/lb.
Austrian Peas $37.02/#50 = 18.51/#25
Barley $19.78/#50
Wheat $13.13/#50
Oats $20.52/#50
Alfalfa pellets $16.38/#50
Birdseed mix $13.97/#50

I can't get lentils in bulk but if I could, I assume they would be about the same price as the flax.
I don't use chia so I'll use your per pound price for comparison.

Sunflower seed is about 3 oz. per cup.
Oats and alfalfa are about 4.5 oz. per cup.
Flax, barley and birdseed is about 5.5 oz. per cup. I'm assuming chia is close to the same.
Wheat and peas are about 6.5 oz. per cup. I'm assuming lentils are close.

If you can truly get barley, wheat, oats and alfalfa pellets for $11, then it's costing you about $15 per #50 not counting the kelp, yeast and spices which is minimal.

To do the same mix at the cheapest possible I can buy the same seeds it's $20 per a 50 lb. mix for me. This would be before taxes, labor and storage.

The other consideration is that we are comparing prices for conventional seeds to a bag of feed.. Organic seeds would be significantly higher if available locally which they usually aren't. The cost of shipping 50 lb. bags of organic seeds would be astronomical. #50 bags of organic wheat are about $45, organic peas - $75, organic oats - $50, organic alfalfa pellets - $25, organic barley - $30, organic millet - $50. 1 pound of organic chia is about $16,
Organic feed will be GMO free.
I can buy 50 lbs. of coarsely ground organic from the same wholesaler for $26/starter and $21/grower. I also don't have a grinder nor do I have the means to do a nutrient analysis to determine the percentages of various amino acids, vitamins, minerals, fats and micronutrients. It may not be that vital to know those things when there is pristine pasture available but around here, there's no forage or animal protein for 5 months a year.

At the turn of the last century, people didn't buy prepared chicken feed. The chickens foraged when it was available and shared grains with other farm animals. However, the hens were much less productive and the average production from a flock was in the neighborhood of 100 eggs a year per hen. The first record of 300 eggs wasn't until 1913 and there were only 2 birds documented to lay that many in the next 4 years. So the nutrient requirements were much less for the average flock.

I don't grind my feed and when I did send the feed mix off I just sent it as is.

Your right at the turn of the century people didn't buy prepared poultry feed. The egg and meat production was low but the other thing we have to remember is that chickens now are not what they where than, meaning that chickens were game type fowl or a more "gamey" type fowl, built for free ranging better than the birds today. Look at some of the old photos of a set breed and look at that same breed now.

You should look at this link:

http://www.gardenbetty.com/2013/05/why-and-how-to-ferment-your-chicken-feed/

I'd say that it will get moldy because of the moisture, but you should make a small amount of the fermented feed and give it to your chickens in small portions. do not put your FF in a commercial feeder. This link will give you all the instructions you need to properly ferment your feed.

Thanks awesome124, that is a good link. I have a couple more.
celebrate.gif

http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

And the last one is about the benefits of turmeric/curcumin I just ordered and received this today. My health needs it but powdered amounts will work for the chickens too.

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric/

You are also an omnivore. How are you making sure you're providing all the essential nutrients in appropriate levels to yourself?

I sure as heck don't mix up a batch of 'feed' containing 10, 15 or 20 items for the week/month and sustain myself on that same feed week after week after week... I personally eat 100s of different items each month and no two days are the same, let alone sticking to a list of even 100 'ingredients' to sustain myself on...

I'm not suggesting you can't make your own food and make some decent stuff (I have, I made dog food for 2 years from scratch for two cattle dogs) but I know full well feed companies have turned it into a science very much like baby formula or feeding tube food companies have and the stuff you make at home is likely to not be anywhere near as balanced overall at the end of the day... And at the end of the day no matter how much science we put into it, we still fall short to some degree vs the natural varied diets...

I'm not knocking those that make their own feed it can have some very positive results over commercial feeds, but you have to be devoted...

For me my flock 'sustains' on commercial feed and they get a vast variety of whatever produce the local grocery store tossed out that week and gave to me instead of the dumpster out back...

I sure as heck don't mix up a batch of 'feed' containing 10, 15 or 20 items for the week/month and sustain myself on that same feed week after week after week... I personally eat 100s of different items each month and no two days are the same, let alone sticking to a list of even 100 'ingredients' to sustain myself on...

I'm not suggesting you can't make your own food and make some decent stuff (I have, I made dog food for 2 years from scratch for two cattle dogs) but I know full well feed companies have turned it into a science very much like baby formula or feeding tube food companies have and the stuff you make at home is likely to not be anywhere near as balanced overall at the end of the day... And at the end of the day no matter how much science we put into it, we still fall short to some degree vs the natural varied diets...

I'm not knocking those that make their own feed it can have some very positive results over commercial feeds, but you have to be devoted...

For me my flock 'sustains' on commercial feed and they get a vast variety of whatever produce the local grocery store tossed out that week and gave to me instead of the dumpster out back...

But you probably have a lot of staples that you eat, and then eat a variety to complement that. You seem to have missed the part where I say that if hens can't free range, it is crucial that they be given a variety of fresh foods in addition to the feed mix.

For the record, what you're protesting about in your first paragraph, sustaining yourself on a set, small ingredient list, is exactly what animals are expected to do on commercial feed.

You're right that feed companies have feed down to a science- the science of profit. They use whatever they can get cheaply to mash together and charge as much as they can get away with. They are not in it for the health of our animals, they are in it for the money.

But you probably have a lot of staples that you eat, and then eat a variety to complement that.

Define staples, yeah there is a list of several hundred items I might eat more frequently than others but I do not restrict or even consider that anywhere near a majority of my diet no do I eat those 'staples' daily...
For the record, what you're protesting about in your first paragraph, sustaining yourself on a set, small ingredient list, is exactly what animals are expected to do on commercial feed.

And it's the same thing animals are expected to do when people make home brew feeds as well, really no different in the end is it?

I fully encourage a variety of food, as that is always going to be the best, that is why my birds always have feed as a staple, but also get fresh fruits and vegetables daily as well as being able to forage on their own for a variety of things... I will never depend on any commercial feed or even one I whip up to be complete nutrition, I spent way too many years as a professional chef working with dietitians and nutritional freaks on a daily basis, I know better...
You're right that feed companies have feed down to a science- the science of profit. They use whatever they can get cheaply to mash together and charge as much as they can get away with. They are not in it for the health of our animals, they are in it for the money.

Yes, there is a profit margin but there is also a science of dietary needs, that is why they can give a nutritional breakdown and guaranteed analysis right on the label for you to read, and said analysis that the animal the feed is designed for... I'm never in a million years consider any feed to be nutritionally complete, at least not beyond sustaining life, you sure as heck will never thrive on any commercial or even home brewed static diet that is composed of a few dozen ingredients...

Define staples, yeah there is a list of several hundred items I might eat more frequently than others but I do not restrict or even consider that anywhere near a majority of my diet no do I eat those 'staples' daily...

And it's the same thing animals are expected to do when people make home brew feeds as well, really no different in the end is it?

I fully encourage a variety of food, as that is always going to be the best, that is why my birds always have feed as a staple, but also get fresh fruits and vegetables daily as well as being able to forage on their own for a variety of things... I will never depend on any commercial feed or even one I whip up to be complete nutrition, I spent way too many years as a professional chef working with dietitians and nutritional freaks on a daily basis, I know better...

Yes, there is a profit margin but there is also a science of dietary needs, that is why they can give a nutritional breakdown and guaranteed analysis right on the label for you to read, and said analysis that the animal the feed is designed for... I'm never in a million years consider any feed to be nutritionally complete, at least not beyond sustaining life, you sure as heck will never thrive on any commercial or even home brewed static diet that is composed of a few dozen ingredients...

Again, you seem to keep missing the part where I expressly say that aside from the grain/seed/legume mix the chickens must be able to free range or be supplied with a variety of veg, leafy greens, fruit, insects and meats.

But you probably have a lot of staples that you eat, and then eat a variety to complement that. You seem to have missed the part where I say that if hens can't free range, it is crucial that they be given a variety of fresh foods in addition to the feed mix.

Ain't that the truth?

Back
Top Bottom