homemade feeders by RendonRoo

Namble,

Take a look at how I did mine.
cjexotic has just changed one to match because of the binding problem. I am still trialing the design but am having no problems. I have two of them with scratch and a cracked grains, and a smaller one with grit and oyster shell. The grit/oyster one has a 1-1/2" opening. No problems yet.

I did have a small binding issue in a previous wooden feeder. That was with crumble that soaked up moist air. It would bind a bit after about 30lbs got eaten. That is the reason for trying the new ABS design.

I posted a pic a page or two back.

Namble

Yes change out the angled fittings and replace with the y's and all problems solved and a bigger wider feeding area. I was suprised at how much more feed they ate when I went into the coop last night. So the other was creating more of a problem then I thought. They must not have gone in after the food to release the jam. But with the Y's in there they had no problem.

Klorinth

Quote:
What size pipe did you use for the grit and oyster shell ones? Is you pipe 1 1/2" and then you used the Y's also? I still have mine in with the 45's & 90's and thinking of changing them out as the oyster shell is sticking the grit is ok.

Cjexotic,

I actually got 4" pipe and Y. The the Y has 4" in and out(top and bottom). The feeder opening is only 1-1/2" though. This Y fitting is used to tie a small line into a larger drain line. You should be able to find it in with the other Y fittings.

I only got a 3' pipe so it doesn't hold as much, but then I don't think I need 50lbs in the coop. I would say it holds about 20lbs. I have coarse granite grit that seems to make it flow nicely. No need for the large opening. Personally I will only use this fitting for this use, not for food. I prefer the larger opening for easy food access.

Oh ya... The grit and oyster shell is mixed together in the one. They pull out what they want. Nothing is on the ground yet, so I am assuming it is all good. The eggs are nice and hard too. My wife even complains about how hard the Marans eggs are. I just keep telling her that this is how they are supposed to be.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
ok then I finally got around to switching out to the Y . . . It works perfectly! I am so pleased with this set up, switching out the rest today! thank you all who assisted in this!

Our local farm center is making a killing on these things. They have some listed for deer @ $70 each, with camo paint job. Even with the big 6" pipe and components it doesn't take $70 to make one. I made one a few years ago to feed my goats their minerals. Works perfect and I used mostly salvaged scraps.

This feeder works great. No waste, holds a bunch of food. Only have to fill about every 4-5 days. I used a 4 inch pipe reduced to a 2 inch. My chickens take turns feeding, again with no waste.

Thanks for the idea and plans for a feeder that should last forever.

Back
Top Bottom