Homemade flock block recipes

Pics
Quote:

hi..here is the recipe..

Ingredients:..Bread slices, wild bird seed,Black sun flower seeds, (you can also use scratch, oatmeal, wheat germ, grits, whatever you want to use!..)

In a large mixing bowl..wet the bread slices..add the seed and scratch..(whatever you choose to add)...mix all the ingredients together(with your hands)..the wet bread is the binder..it makes a kind of dough....grease a microwave safe baking pan...add the bread/seed mixture to the pan...press down tightly with a spatula...put in microwave oven for 5 minutes..keep testing hardness with finger(it will take about 20 minutes total...)...when you feel it is hard enough..take out and let cool...it will harden even more...if you greased the pan enough..it will pop right out of the pan in one solid block..they love it!
I know this is an old post but i went with your method and my flock blocks were perfection!!! Thank you soooo much:love

I realize this is an older thread. I have been thinking of making some flock blocks for my birds so I am planning on doing some experiments. I want to make the blocks hard so they will last longer. I have read this whole thread and have some ideas of what I'm going to try to bind everything together in addition to researching other websites for ideas. I want to make larger blocks like the Purina Flock Blocks. Getting the ingredients together. I have some older different flours in my pantry I plan on using as a binder. I hope they work out. Finishing my holiday baking. I do buy the Purina flock blocks once in a great while but I have to buy several and it gets a bit costly. Now I have to find large enough containers to make them in.

Got my flock block ingredients together now so now it's time to incorporate everything and put it in a pan and I'm going to put it in the oven. We will see...

I took the flock block out of the oven and it appears to be a bit crumbly. I have another one in the oven now. I altered my recipe and hopefully this one will be harder. I'll keep trying until I get it right.
I also have been thinking of making some small blocks/treats. I have 2 chickens that I think a block would be good for but store one is too big. I bought the Purina flock block for the 5 in my other coop and it is not disappearing as quick as I thought it would.

You guys have way more motivation than I. I just paid $16 for a 25 lb purina flock block that'll last me months as I just put it in their pen for a few hours, a couple times a week. But your blocks look fabulous!!!

I have a dozen coops. I put one flock block in the pens for each coop. Each coop averages around 20 birds more or less. I made two. Yestersay I put them in the oven on low temperature for a couple of hours and left them in the oven over night. My oven will turn itself off after what ever time I program it for so after the oven went off I just left them in overnight and took them out this morning they were harder like the Purina flock blocks. I want them to last for awhile. They are a treat only so I don't want them just eat on the flock blocks so I want them kind of hard. Here is my mixture this morning. I mixed it in a 5 gal bucket and after I mixed it well I put it in the baking pans and into the oven for a couple of hours at low temperature. In this mornings mix, I added some oyster shells and some granite grit since the birds don't have teeth and the seeds and grains get broken up in their gizzards. This is my third try so hopefully they will be better than the other two blocks. The birds were going to get them for Christmas but now it looks like for the new year.
IMG_20191227_101142.jpg

Please excuse my typos in the previous post. I have a couple of more blocks to make but still have some in the oven. It is time consuming but hopefully the birds will like them.

Back
Top Bottom