Homemade flock block recipes

Okay well.. I just got done giving my girls their "homemade goodness" and OMG I have spoiled girls!

I mixed oatmeal, cream of wheat, bird seed, scratch, bread, eggs, peanut butter, peanuts, and sunflowers together - put it in a pan and baked it for about 45 minutes at 350. Cooled it and cut it into blocks.

Uhm - brought it out and they all looked at me like "Hey. you gonna crumble it up for us ? You dont REALLY expect us to have to work at it now do you?"
gig.gif
I swear they gave me the one up one down look at that point!

The birds won... I ended up crumbling it smaller for them...and they went NUTS! One jumped up at me and I thought I was a gonner for sure!

If you don't happen to already have on hand grains that have gone a bit stale over time (oops, I MEANT to use them!), a good place to buy things cheaply might be discount food stores...we call them "dented can stores" and they can be a treasure trove for cheep flock block ingreds.

Quote:
In the summer months, ours get fruit and vegetables and lots of greens from our yard. We don't have AC (except for a small one in the bedroom) and it's too hot in TN to be cooking indoors for us, let alone the birds.
wink.png

Dawn

This "flock block" sounds like a marvelous idea!
big_smile.png
It's dark when I leave the house and dark when I come back so I can't give them the scratch that I'd like them to have, and wise people have already clued me into the fact that most of my layer pellet waste is because I mixed the scratch in and they're beaking the pellets out to get to the treats.

With the flock block, they'll have scratch available all day, but won't be able to just gorge and be done with it in the first five seconds after I dump it in the run.

Also, I would imagine that if there were any leftovers, it might not be so easy for the rats and mice to steal. There needs to be a smiley that shows me rubbing my hands together in eager anticipation.
lol.png

Great ideas....but......what is SO ?? I have seen you use that term before. Superior officer....that is all I can think of....am I right?
lol.png

SO usually stands for Significant Other....which in some cases could also be Superior Officer!! HA HA
wink.png

Quote:
SO usually stands for Significant Other....which in some cases could also be Superior Officer!! HA HA
wink.png

Yep! What Beverly said!
lau.gif
gig.gif

I don't let my significant other be the superior officer at home, but he is the senior/superior officer at the police dept.
Actually a few months ago I upgraded him to fiance'. I just can't break my old habit of using SO.
smile.png

Quote:
wink.png

Yep! What Beverly said!
lau.gif
gig.gif

I don't let my significant other be the superior officer at home, but he is the senior/superior officer at the police dept.
Actually a few months ago I upgraded him to fiance'. I just can't break my old habit of using SO.
smile.png

Significant Other...dah! LOL Congrats on the new fiancee' .
My DH is a retired cop so of course I would think of superior officer....
lau.gif

& I can't wait to try a bunch of these different treat blocks! I love trying new things for the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom