Homemade Heated Waterer/Combo Nightlight...Works like a Charm!

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
This works very well for us so thought maybe it would be useful for my BYC family. My DH and I made this heated bucket stand for our main coop. The bucket is a rather short 3 gallon one from the bakery (free), turned upside down, spray painted dark green with that Krylon spray for plastic to darken the light, a caged work light with 25 watt bulb goes through the side and is wedged so it won't slip out or go too far into the bucket. It keeps the water high above the shavings and keeps it from freezing (we went to 3 degrees and it only had a tiny skim of ice on one side of the tray). Some of the paint has been scraped off to allow a tiny bit of light, so it also serves as a nightlight. Just be sure the bucket is a sturdy, heavy one.

DCP_4462.jpg

DCP_4463.jpg

The worklight is one of this type:

41aSQyXN5sL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Fabulous idea Cyn!
clap.gif

I use the same waterer too and am sick and tired of the ice building up in it. Thanks!

I believe it has a 40 watt bulb in there now. Since the light is not near the sides, but sort of suspended in the air inside the bucket, and there is also the guard on the work light, the bucket is in no danger of becoming too hot. It's slightly warm to the touch, so could actually be a heater for a small coop, in addition to a water defroster and nightlight.

Back
Top Bottom