Homemade Heated Waterer/Combo Nightlight...Works like a Charm!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by speckledhen, Jan 16, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This works very well for us so thought maybe it would be useful for my BYC family. My DH and I made this heated bucket stand for our main coop. The bucket is a rather short 3 gallon one from the bakery (free), turned upside down, spray painted dark green with that Krylon spray for plastic to darken the light, a caged work light with 25 watt bulb goes through the side and is wedged so it won't slip out or go too far into the bucket. It keeps the water high above the shavings and keeps it from freezing (we went to 3 degrees and it only had a tiny skim of ice on one side of the tray). Some of the paint has been scraped off to allow a tiny bit of light, so it also serves as a nightlight. Just be sure the bucket is a sturdy, heavy one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The worklight is one of this type:

[​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Fabulous idea Cyn! [​IMG]

I use the same waterer too and am sick and tired of the ice building up in it. Thanks!

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Great idea!! Glad I seen this before I forked over the cash for those heated ones!! Thanks for sharing...

4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Thank you for the great post. I'm very visual so I especially appreciate pictures.

5. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    What Size Of Bulb Are You Using In It?...i Like This Idea!! We Get Our Buckets Free From Shipleys Donuts

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I believe it has a 40 watt bulb in there now. Since the light is not near the sides, but sort of suspended in the air inside the bucket, and there is also the guard on the work light, the bucket is in no danger of becoming too hot. It's slightly warm to the touch, so could actually be a heater for a small coop, in addition to a water defroster and nightlight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by