Homemade incubator ... and it works!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OzarkCountryGirl, Mar 30, 2009.

1. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    I made an incubator last week modeled after the award winning Gopher-Bator (thanks, GB!), and it works! I put 15 Welsh Harlequin duck eggs in it Thursday and candled a few of them today...just to see. And I saw embryos and lots of veins! They look just like they are supposed to look at this age! Yeah!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I will tell you all I'm not very mechanically inclined. OK...scratch the "not very"...I'm not at ALL. So when I plugged in the fan and the light/water heater thermostat and they worked, I was literally squealing with joy. But then came the matter of getting the temp right. I worried and fussed with it, literally staying up all night! And did so again the night I put the eggs in. The temps never did get perfect, but fluctuates between 97°F and 106°F. I didn't have big water wiggler, just a tiny one that is about 2 inches, so it wasn't giving me a steady reading either. The little water wiggler temp bounces back and forth between 98.9°F - 99.9°F .... so I figure if the water wiggler were the regular size, it would read about 99.5°. And since the eggs look right on cue, I guess it's good enough. [​IMG]

Anyway, if all goes well, we are looking at a dozen or so little ducklings in just 24 days!

Oh, and my cooler came from someone's dumpster, with the lid literally torn off of it and tossed to the side and the corners of the lid all smashed in...but it was nothing a little duck tape (haha) couldn't fix. [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Gotta luv that "duck" tape.

Congrats on your engineering and ingenuity!

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    When I was growing up my parents called it Duck tape. I went to a store later on when I was older to buy some of this duck tape and couldnt find any duck tape. So I asked the hardware man where to find it and he just laughed at me. I later found out its called Duct tape. Not Duck tape. .... but I still call it duck tape to this day lol

4. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by