Homemade incubator at 106.9 overnight!

Lemon88

Songster
Nov 25, 2018
Short question: Will 106.9 kill my eggs if it was at that temp for six hours or less?

Hi! I am new to posting here (hopefully im doing this right) but have read these forums for a while to answer many of my questions. I am incubating quail and have both hatching and storebought eggs in my incubator. 2-3 of the eggs from a grocery store ended up being fertile! I dropped one of them whilst candling and it cracked badly. I covered it in plain candle wax but the shell sunk in or something. :hitI am not sure if it is alive or not, most likely dead. I was really excited for it to hatch. The grocery store eggs were going into lockdown before the hatching eggs, so i decided not to risk the other eggs and build a 2nd incubator from a styrofoam cooler. I have in the past, but the eggs didnt hatch. :confused: I had the incubator at a stable temp (with many holes) that made keeping humidity up difficult. I moved the incubator into a cooler room and taped over some of the holes because it was not getting warm enough. I fall asleep and come to check on it six hours later and the temp is 106.9! I read the still air lethal temp is 107? :barnieI dont know if it was at that temperature the whole time. Have i ruined any chance of those chicks hatching? They were on day 14-15.

I had eggs in an incubator that reached 107 for I don’t know how long I was on day 8 or 9 and it killed them your best bet would be to candle them and see if you see blood rings or if the babies are still alive but my guess is they aren’t but I do hope I’m wrong

When i noticed the temperature was so high i immediately took the lid off to cool it down. I dont know how hot they were. I smelled them, and they smell kind of rotten. It could just be the smell of the cracked one though. Should i float test them or is that not a good idea since they arent overdue?

I think the float method is somewhat stressful to the chicks if they are alive but it is probably unlikely that they are. I think ill try it just in case.

Float tested, one is definately no longer alive but the other i am not so sure. I am just going to keep incubating and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom