Homemade incubator experiment

silkiemother

Crowing
Sep 14, 2018
east wenatchee
So as an FFA side project I decided to see if I could hatch out duck eggs without the help of a modern incubator. I know it sounds weird but bear with me. I know I can successfully hatch out ducks like this due to intensive research of how they used to do it before we had modern incubators(with some modifications mind you) so I wanted to give it a go. How my incubator is set up is like this
19555503-513C-4EC0-A585-74D3B2FCE313.jpeg

(Thermometer is only reading low because I misted the eggs). I just set those eggs marked and dated yesterday but one of my friends suggested I set up a thread so people can follow along with me on my hatching journey. I did try experimentally like this before but I made the mistake of having crested parents so I’m hoping at least the two blue Swedish X runner mix eggs in there won’t have defects this go around. But my current schedule for what I’m doing with this eggs is hand rotating them three times a day, when I wake up for school, when I get home, and at 2:45 am in the night. I mist them five times a day(my mom mists them twice while I’m at school) as well as having a dish of water right next to them. The eggs are sitting on top of a bit of tinfoil so that the heat is distributed evenly then there is a towel underneath and underneath the towel is a bin full of dried beans so I can shape it to how I need the eggs and for a soft cushion. I’m using a heat lamp as my source of heat, carefully monitoring it so it stays between 98.9 and 99.6. And yes, I am planning on getting a device to measure humidity this time. So uhh, yeah, anyone want to follow along on this journey with me? Sorry if this is worded weird, I have no idea how to set something up this so others can understand easily, but I hope it works
@HeatherKellyB @Weeg @BelovedPoultry thought y’all might be interested in this

Do y’all Y'all think there’s anything I can could improve or change to make it better? Or is it good as it is? I want to give these babies the best chance possible

The weird thing is, by leaving it uncovered the heat actually stays stable better, also, what you can’t see in that photo is that the eggs are actually kinda sunk down so the tinfoil reflects the heat back at the eggs pretty well. I also have em in a draft free area where they are safe from pets and people

The weird thing is, by leaving it uncovered the heat actually stays stable better, also, what you can’t see in that photo is that the eggs are actually kinda sunk down so the tinfoil reflects the heat back at the eggs pretty well. I also have em in a draft free area where they are safe from pets and people
Thought I saw a lid sorry! Hoping your experiment is a huge success!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom