Homemade incubator question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by YardBirdHost, Mar 5, 2011.

1. YardBirdHost

YardBirdHost In the Brooder

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    I'm using a homemade cooler incubator and things are going well so far. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a light bulb failure. I am using a new GE Reveal 60 watt bulb.

I am wondering if I should change the light bulb before lock-down and risk temperature problems, or will the light bulb last until the eggs hatch?

2. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Songster

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    I've done 2 hatches in a homemade incubator and each time, I start with a fresh light bulb for fear that it will go out on me. I don't put a new one in at lockdown, just use a fresh one for 21 days. I figure light bulbs are cheap and I can use the used ones in other light fixtures around the house.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  3. muddstopper

muddstopper Songster

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    You might want to consider rewireing the bator to accept 2-25 watt bulbs instead of just one 60 watt bulb. That way if one of the bulbs do fail, you still have the other one as a backup.

4. YardBirdHost

YardBirdHost In the Brooder

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Quote:That's a good idea, I might do that before the next batch! Unfortunately I put eggs in two days ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: