homemade incubator

thatduckguyy

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
please post pictures.
yippiechickie.gif

Starting mine today... this was an old BIG ice chest that has seen better days. I may need two bulbs to get the temps up where they need to be, though.

Three turners I made from old, unneeded tent poles, zip ties, egg cartons, and duct tape. Here, only two are put together. Hey, I had them laying around, why not put them to work?
clap.gif

Yeah, I know the eggs are grimy ones...they're my test-pilots. They'll be treats for one or another critter around here after I get this thing set properly.

It already had the hole in the top - for a handy hatch to access goodies. I had a piece of plexiglass that fit perfect.
thumbsup.gif

Yes, that's pink/red/orange/yellow tie-die colored duct tape.
lau.gif
Hey, it's for chicks, right?
gig.gif

It's sitting at 88 degrees F and 59% humidity, after being on for about 2 hours... I'm thinking it's too big for one lightbulb, at least of the size I'm using...
This was taken at slightly less than 2 hours. Taking ~forever~ to warm up. *sigh*
caf.gif

Last edited:
Gotta love a woman that's not afraid to build something like this! Looks like you are on your way. Keep this post updated with your progress. I haven't built mine yet. I was suppose to do it yesterday, but we lost power. With any luck I'll get to it today.

Last edited:
Gotta love a woman that's not afraid to build something like this! Looks like you are on your way. Keep this post updated with your progress. I haven't built mine yet. I was suppose to do it yesterday, but we lost power. With any luck I'll get to it today.

Thanks. :) I'm all the time building one project or another... you'd probably be surprised how many various things I've built.
lau.gif

I've got the temps right on the money, it appears. 100 F for 18 hours straight, using two different kinds of acurite thermometers, one with a hygrometer. One bulb is doing the job.
thumbsup.gif
Had to adjust the water container size twice so far, but it looks like I've got the right combination, now.
wee.gif

Fridge incubator.
70328_fridgebatorwafer_003.jpg
70328_fridgebatorwafer_002.jpg
70328_fridgebatorwafer_001.jpg
70328_fridgebatorwafer_004.jpg
70328_fridgebatorwafer_006.jpg
70328_fridgebatorwafer_007.jpg

Can you please give me a run down of how you made this little fridge bator? I have one and am scared to death of converting it into a bator, I have made 5 styrofoam ones and they work great!!! One question is: did you just cut into the front fridge with a sawzall for the window???
And of course I have a bunch of others maybe I will PM you
Ayda

Back
Top Bottom