homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thatduckguyy, Jan 6, 2012.

1. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    please post pictures.[​IMG]

2. slvrphoenix

slvrphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    cache valley ut
  3. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:Ok, I'll go check it out

4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Homemade Cooler bator. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Fridge incubator. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. nightowl223

nightowl223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    United States
    Starting mine today... this was an old BIG ice chest that has seen better days. I may need two bulbs to get the temps up where they need to be, though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Three turners I made from old, unneeded tent poles, zip ties, egg cartons, and duct tape. Here, only two are put together. Hey, I had them laying around, why not put them to work? [​IMG]
    Yeah, I know the eggs are grimy ones...they're my test-pilots. They'll be treats for one or another critter around here after I get this thing set properly.

[​IMG]
    It already had the hole in the top - for a handy hatch to access goodies. I had a piece of plexiglass that fit perfect. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yes, that's pink/red/orange/yellow tie-die colored duct tape. [​IMG] Hey, it's for chicks, right? [​IMG]

It's sitting at 88 degrees F and 59% humidity, after being on for about 2 hours... I'm thinking it's too big for one lightbulb, at least of the size I'm using...
    This was taken at slightly less than 2 hours. Taking ~forever~ to warm up. *sigh* [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  7. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Gotta love a woman that's not afraid to build something like this! Looks like you are on your way. Keep this post updated with your progress. I haven't built mine yet. I was suppose to do it yesterday, but we lost power. With any luck I'll get to it today.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  8. nightowl223

nightowl223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    United States
    Thanks. :) I'm all the time building one project or another... you'd probably be surprised how many various things I've built. [​IMG]

I've got the temps right on the money, it appears. 100 F for 18 hours straight, using two different kinds of acurite thermometers, one with a hygrometer. One bulb is doing the job. [​IMG] Had to adjust the water container size twice so far, but it looks like I've got the right combination, now. [​IMG]

9. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY

Can you please give me a run down of how you made this little fridge bator? I have one and am scared to death of converting it into a bator, I have made 5 styrofoam ones and they work great!!! One question is: did you just cut into the front fridge with a sawzall for the window???
    And of course I have a bunch of others maybe I will PM you
    Ayda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by