homemade incubator

thatduckguyy

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
please post pictures.
yippiechickie.gif

Starting mine today... this was an old BIG ice chest that has seen better days. I may need two bulbs to get the temps up where they need to be, though.

Three turners I made from old, unneeded tent poles, zip ties, egg cartons, and duct tape. Here, only two are put together. Hey, I had them laying around, why not put them to work?
clap.gif

Yeah, I know the eggs are grimy ones...they're my test-pilots. They'll be treats for one or another critter around here after I get this thing set properly.

It already had the hole in the top - for a handy hatch to access goodies. I had a piece of plexiglass that fit perfect.
thumbsup.gif

Yes, that's pink/red/orange/yellow tie-die colored duct tape.
lau.gif
Hey, it's for chicks, right?
gig.gif

It's sitting at 88 degrees F and 59% humidity, after being on for about 2 hours... I'm thinking it's too big for one lightbulb, at least of the size I'm using...
This was taken at slightly less than 2 hours. Taking ~forever~ to warm up. *sigh*
caf.gif

Last edited:

moetrout

Songster
11 Years
May 5, 2010
Milan, MI
Gotta love a woman that's not afraid to build something like this! Looks like you are on your way. Keep this post updated with your progress. I haven't built mine yet. I was suppose to do it yesterday, but we lost power. With any luck I'll get to it today.

Last edited:
Gotta love a woman that's not afraid to build something like this! Looks like you are on your way. Keep this post updated with your progress. I haven't built mine yet. I was suppose to do it yesterday, but we lost power. With any luck I'll get to it today.

Thanks. :) I'm all the time building one project or another... you'd probably be surprised how many various things I've built.
lau.gif

I've got the temps right on the money, it appears. 100 F for 18 hours straight, using two different kinds of acurite thermometers, one with a hygrometer. One bulb is doing the job.
thumbsup.gif
Had to adjust the water container size twice so far, but it looks like I've got the right combination, now.
wee.gif

Wyogirl

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Cody, WY
Fridge incubator.
70328_fridgebatorwafer_003.jpg
70328_fridgebatorwafer_002.jpg
70328_fridgebatorwafer_001.jpg
70328_fridgebatorwafer_004.jpg
70328_fridgebatorwafer_006.jpg
70328_fridgebatorwafer_007.jpg

Can you please give me a run down of how you made this little fridge bator? I have one and am scared to death of converting it into a bator, I have made 5 styrofoam ones and they work great!!! One question is: did you just cut into the front fridge with a sawzall for the window???
And of course I have a bunch of others maybe I will PM you
Ayda

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom